Plasterboard adhesive

I was advised (in another thread) to use this stuff to fix a conglomerate (pretend marble) hearth to a concrete floor. Can this stuff also be used to provide extra support in the void beneath the hearth and floor, and to what depth? Ta.

Reply to
Grumps

It is gypsum based so you can't use it where it may get damp. But it is very grabby and can fill huge voids. It's a bit like one coat plaster. Great stuff & cheap as chips.

Reply to
VisionSet

Thanks for the reply. So, in my application (which isn't damp), do you think it is more suitable than cement based mortar?

Reply to
Grumps

I'm not sure from your description of your intended application. Do you mean between a concrete constructional hearth and the superimposed hearth?

Reply to
VisionSet

The whole ground floor is concrete. The hearth is a slab of marble, but sits on a frame (also marble). The frame will keep the flat surface of the hearth away from the floor by about 40mm. I'd like to fill this void.

Reply to
Grumps

I've just found a web-guide on internetfiresdirect that shows how to fit this type of hollow hearth. Sand+cement is suggested.

Reply to
Grumps

Thanks. There is no real reason to fill the void. It was only suggested in case anyone accidentally stands on it. I may put a couple of dollops in strategic positions.

Reply to
Grumps

Yes it is, and when I saw your original post I would replied as such. But when someone else sugested dry wall adhesive I couldn't think of a reason why not. I've got a bit of marble and a bit of adhesive, I'll see how well it sicks to a smooth surface, but that isn't really an issue what with the weight and the locating frame. I don't think I'd bother filling the void though, but you'll get a marginally more solid feel from a rap to the hearth. If you really want to fill it. I'd say the adhesive it as good as anything.

Reply to
VisionSet

Dry-Wall Adhesive is a good bonding plaster to most surfaces as its a very tacky adhesive,however I've never tried it on a smooth surface,is the hearth smooth on the underneath?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It's smooth, but not as smooth as the top.

Reply to
Grumps

It will stick two pieces of glass together, and you don't get much smoother than glass!!

Reply to
Phil L

Now why did you stick two pieces of glass together with it Phillip?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I mixed too much a few weeks ago and decided to carry out an 'experiment' (I was playing really) wood & wood - good adhesion, but uncertain as to how long it would remain, given timber's ability to shrink etc. ceramic tile & ceramic tile (back to back), both need to be smashed to stand a chance of seperating them...and face to face, pretty much same thing. Glass & glass and glass & tile, see above, inseperable. pointing trowel & bucket, hammer required to retrieve trowel, bucket in skip metal & metal, see wood wet brick & wet brick, both in skip under smashed bucket

Reply to
Phil L

Blimey, an all purpose glue then. I imagine it's just plaster with pva powder

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I've never used the stuff, but my notes on it are that it's cement based, with a bonding agent as you suggest, but also some type of fibre to give excellent tensile strength. Plastering teacher demonstrated its strength by showing his weight couldn't pull a piece of plasterboard off which was fixed with it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel