Plank flooring and front door threshold

As mentioned in a previous post I am laying some semi solid plank flooring. Still haven't resolved the front door threshold problem but have thought of three possibilities:

1) Leave 10mm expansion gap between flooring and threshold and fill gap with matching sealant.

2) Use a threshold trim like this one:

Leave 10mm expansion gap and fill with cork expansion strip.

Idea 1 I think is the worst.

I like idea 2 but I imagine the trim would get scuffed as it will be slightly higher than the flooring. Has anyone long term experience of how such a trim looks? Mine will have to take the wear of a pushchair as well.

I also like Idea 3 but maybe cork expansion strip is not suitable for heavy traffic.

I also have another idea, what if I didn't leave a 10mm gap at the front door threshold. Maybe the gap around the rest of the perimeter will be enough to take any expansion? Does wood expand more length ways or width ways?

Any advice or suggestions will be most grateful,

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

I had the same problem when I did my hall floor with beech engineered board about 3 years ago - and opted for a wide brass strip which covers the gap, and goes *over* the bottom of the doorframe - rather than butting against it like the Screwfix strip which you reference.

I replaced my bannisters at the same time with Burbidge Fusion - the metal parts of which had a gold finish - so brass strips across all the doorways blended in nicely.

I'll try to take a picture of the front door strip in daylight, and upload it somewhere if it would be of interest.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Wood expands or contracts in it's width. The expasion in length is so small as to be irrelevant.

Given that any change in humidity will affect the whole floor at the same time, as long as you leave a gap at one end across the grain, all should be well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

do it properly, 2. The threshold trim will cover the edge of the planks and prevent chips and splinters. If there is a lot of wear better to replace the threshold than the floor.

Reply to
DJC