Pipe freezing kit help

As I have written previously I have need to replace a radiator valve that was jammed and the spindle now broken off. As there are no drain points (that I can find) no any way of turning off the CH water supply separately I am thinking of freezing the pipe to replace the valve. There is only a perhaps 6 inches of pipe from the floor to the radiator that is easily accessible. Could I use a one off freezing kit successfully in this situation? Any suggestions and help gratefully received.

Reply to
Broadback

I recently had a similar problem where I couldn't drain the system down.

First of all I drained a radiator. I turned off both valves and slackened one valve in the traditional way and collected the water in a dish.

I had a compression coupler and attached it to a hose pipe.

I then slackened the compression fitting on the lower part of the valve and got an assistant to hold the valve down against the olive.

It was then a matter of quickly removing the valve and putting my thumb over the pipe. And then putting the compression coupler in place of the valve. If you're fast there's very little spillage.

I would have thought you could do something very similar to change a valve. Just make sure the new valve is also turned off!

Reply to
Fred

Unless, of course, the system is pressurised and you'd get water absolutely everywhere!

Reply to
aahbarnes

Turn the water off at the mains. syphon the water out of the header tank with a hosepipe (you might want to give the inside of the tank a clean at this point, plenty of old rags will do the trick) Drain a few bucketfuls of water from a downstairs radiator, or drain the entire system, then change the valve(s) you need to change...while the system is dry, install a drain valve at the lowest point you can find downstairs, preferably near the front or back door.

HTH

Reply to
Phil L

I was fairly strongly warned against using freeze kits unless one is experienced enough to be confident of doing a quick hassle free job. Which, with plumbing, I'm not.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

My favoured trick if you can manage it, is to install a permanent drain point controlled by a service valve that is plumbed directly to a drain or gully. That way you can drain down without needing hoses or anything like that.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've had good experiences with pipe freezing kits, last one was on an incoming main with a broken stopcock. Replaced the stopcock and had to wait

20 mins before we could put the kettle on!

Could you use those rubber bungs that create a vacuum?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well you have larger cojones than me, then!

David

Reply to
Lobster

They really do work - if you follow the destructions to the letter & take your time.

On that last one, my nephew was assisting. He was in panic alert red!

It really did take 15 odd mins to thaw out again. I'm very impressed with them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Oh sure - I've watched a plumber do just what you did, but I didn't fancy taking my chances personally (although, it was on a lead pipe which made things all the more interesting).

David

Reply to
Lobster