Pinkfill

I ordered a couple of tubes of Pinkfill recently whilst replenishing my Gripfill supplies - but haven't got around to using Pinkfill yet.
I noticed in the DIY shed this morning that Pinkfill was advertised as "not for DIY use". Seemed an odd statement in a DIY place!
What's so special about Pinkfill that would make me want to choose it for a job instead of Gripfill?
PoP

The colour's nice if you like that sort of thing?
It was probably specified by the same marketing assistant at B&Q who thought that having a range of ladies power tools would be a good plan. There was a set of them for about 70 with lilac handles with small curvy shapes. I think they were in the store for about 6 weeks and then disappeared. I doubt whether it was because they sold out of them.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

The main claimed improvement seems to be that it has improved 'grab' so less need to pin or support items
I presume the pink-ness (not really pink) is a marketing ploy, which in a market full of 'Grip-a-likes' is fair enough I guess - ditto the 'not for amateur' use bit as well.
I got some form a local BM (Everbuild are a Leeds company so there products get into a a lot of places ISTM) sesm ok, can't really say if it any better, but certainly no worse (unlike some I have tried..0
--
Chris French, Leeds

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:32:15 +0000, chris French

Sorry, yes - Pinkgrip.
PoP
Pinkgrip is essentially very similar stuff to Gripfill, but pinky/red in colour and marketed in a bit more gimmicky way.
Of course, being a northener, it must be better if it is made in Leeds, but in my use of both I have found no advantage of one over the other. Except, perhaps, that one looks better when you get it on your clothes, 'cos you'll never get it off!
Rob
I think it goes with many of the personnel who present BBC diy programmes. It's a lifestyle statement? Regards Capitol

Gripfill too, the stuff is f*cking flammable. There are mutterings that it may be banned for non-commercial use.
America had a pretty nasty explosion with this type of stuff, earlier in the year.
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:37:39 +0000, Andy Dingley

::Groan::
If John Prescott hears about this we'll have part Z of the building regs put into law before the end of the year, and you will only be able to use it if you belong to the Blue Peter "here's one I made earlier with sticky-backed gripfill" club :)
PoP
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:37:39 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

It a menaingless statement really. Who ever buys and uses it will agree to it believing that they have purchased and are using a superior product.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:37:39 +0000, Andy Dingley

Will petrol also be banned for being flammable ?
Lots of products are highly flammable, if the end-user is stupid bad things will happen. I made the mistake last several years using low VOC products (varnish, woodstain etc), i have learnt from these mistakes and will never use these totally crap products where high VOC products do the job properly.
I started correcting these mistakes today just scraped the 5year guaranteed Ronseal (doesn't do what it says on the tin) woodstain off the external face of a window and cill, didn't protect the hardwood frame at all, many grey areas and the crap just sat on the wood no penetration and very flaky; it has only been on for just over 1 year (preparation was done correctly not just slapped on). Window has just received its first coat of sadolin classic wood protection, another coat or two of that then some sadolin extra durable woodstain should be a far superior end-result.
And the whole of america had a big explosion, damn that must have been one hell of a big diy job ;)
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:01:33 +0000, David Hemmings

Petrol isn't as bad. Gripfill has some _real_ nasties in it.
And the reason we're still driving around in Molotov chariots is that no-one has yet produced a real alternative. Except my bike of course - I start work tomorrow 11 miles away down a billiard-table flat cyclepath, paying myself 20p/mile mileage allowance 8-)
You may laugh when I have to be rescued from a snowdrift by St Bernards 8-(
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:00:18 +0000, Andy Dingley

petrol stations because.... likewise you don't use any sort of ignition when varnishing a whole floor (high VOC) with the doors closed, if you do stupid things bad things happen.

Well a real step up will be highly pressurised cylinders of hydrogen, currently being trialled by LRT.
Except my bike of course

hehe, wrong time of year to start cycling to work. I know the feeling very very well, cycled in/out of uni for the best part of 6 years, and also to/from work for 3 years. One particularly bad day, driving blizzard, had to stop several times to thaw my eyelids which had frozen open :) you should make a higher winter allowance for cycling
David Hemmings wrote:

NOT.

David Hemmings wrote:

I suspect so, It was late...
Andy Dingley wrote in message

mirrors? Please clarify as a matter of urgency :-)