Ping mary Fisher

I'm absolutely sure that she would have found a way to even catch man diseases

Reply to
geoff

In message , Paul Herber writes

Sorry, but I am in full agreement with the above

She prattled on about all manner of crap

Reply to
geoff

Quite. Unpleasant comments like some of those above merely reflect badly on the person who makes them

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

I've no direct experience but I do recall a sailor who circumnavigated Antarctica in the early 1970's bought his supplies for the voyage including hundreds of freshly laid eggs from Southern Chile.

His book says how he contemplated different storage methods and isinglass was one treatment he tried. But he spread his chances - mainly due to lack of time before he set off and he left a good proportion of his eggs untreated. The best results were from storage in the bilge at around 5 deg C with no other treatment. If I recall correctly the eggs were still edible at 9 months but he said most people would have declared a slightly earlier cutoff point.

I still have the book but it is not immediately to hand to check all the details - the title is Ice Bird by David Fisher, long out of print but it's available secondhand from numerous online booksellers/listing sites.

Reply to
Mike

When I were a lad we'd no fridge and my mother would store eggs bought in bulk at a good price in a new dustbin in the cupboard under the stairs which was always cool - no central heating either. And they'd last for months. Maybe not 'fresh' but not 'off'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Following up to Dave Plowman (News)

the supermarkets don't put them in a fridge, do they.

No - but look at the 'best before' dates. Most think they'll poison you if eaten after.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Glad to see the spirit of Xmas is alive and well. ;-(

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks, but look no further. I thought I had printed Mary's answer, but I can't find it now (computer area looks like a bomb has exploded on it.) :-( The original post has now been answered.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

email it to your gmail address and then you can search for anything you need to recall later and its free.

Reply to
dennis

I much prefer paper copies to a computer screen.

Just before I took early retirement, they were introducing computers for all the associated books and paperwork we had before. At least with paper, you can fan through it and it is surprising how quick the eye is at picking up on the very piece you are looking for. I'm too old for all this computer related searching now :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave