Philishave HQ 5620 Charger blown

A colleague has 'burnt-out'(?) the charger of a Philishave HQ 5620 (Coolskin) shaver -- set to 110V, plugged into 240V. It now blows 1A mains fuses.

Any suggestions as to repair or replacement?

TIA,

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan G Campbell

Ring Philips HQ on 020 8689 2166, ask for the small appliances helpdesk, and they in turn will advise where a replacement can be obtained. Used to be Willowvale Electronics but I think they went bust.

Reply to
harrogate

Mine - Coolskin, but not sure of the model, has a wall wart marked 100-240 volts. And my many years old mains Philips razor is also universal voltage.

What 1 amp fuse is it blowing?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The one in the wall socket -- I have the impression the plug is shaver-style.

Sincere apologies for the imprecision, since I've only had a quick account of the symptoms and had only a brief look at the arrangmement (I'll call by and inspect more closely, but I cannot do that today). There is a cradle (like that of a cordless phone) that the razor unit fits into. I came away with the impression that the transformer and rectification/regulation are housed in that cradle.

Referring to another post, it seems absurd that the universal voltage feature of the mains-only Philishaves is not present in rechargables

-- but maybe I'm unaware of practicalities and economics of adaptors. Another incidental: I gave up on Philishave rechargables when the batteries died in one (after ~ 2 years) and there appeared to be no chance of replacement due to completely sealed unit.

Many thanks,

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan G Campbell

Like I said, they are in mine which has a two pin wall wart designed to fit in a normal shaver socket. And made in China.

Perhaps US models are 110v only since US citizens don't ever travel?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Dunno. Could easily have been bought in far East or some airport duty-free.

The owner says that it was set to 110v while in Spain. I had assumed that all Europe was around 220-240v. Seems like a pretty fundamental design flaw -- in the shaver as well as in Spain :), /if/ some autodetermination feature is easy and cheap. (It's a long time since I've even thought about voltages other than 5v DC.)

Best regards,

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan G Campbell