Philips creates first LED incandescent light replacement

from

12, 2010

Philips seems to have made a breakthrough by creating the world´s first LED replacement for a 60w incandescent light bulb.

The company introduced its new 12w EnduraLED bulb at the Lightfair International tradeshow and is considered to be the future of lighting.

Homeowners and businesses can expect to make substantial energy savings with the bulb cutting bills by approximately 80 per cent, while it will also last

25 times longer than its predecessor.

It is noted that use of the LED replacement could save enough electricity each year to power an additional 16.7 million homes, while also representing a milestone in the use of LED lighting technology in everyday applications.

Rudy Provoost, chief executive of Philips Lighting, said: "We challenged ourselves to answer the consumer call for an LED alternative that can mimic the traditional incandescent in light quality, shape and use.

"This milestone is even more impactful because we have been able to show people around the world that LED lighting can deliver energy efficiency and the warm white light people desire for their homes, without compromise to quality."

Cree recently posted an experimental video on YouTube highlighting the benefits that LED lighting has over traditional incandescent lamps.

Rapid Electronics is a leading UK supplier of educational products, electrical products and teaching resources to the primary, secondary and higher education sector.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Be very interested to see if it produces a light quality even close to that of halogen. I doubt it will.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

.. without tripping over in the dark! Brilliant!

Are the energy companies going to subsidise these as well?

Should I get on to my broker and splash out on shares in Philips?

Reply to
Adrian C

Follow NP and get a nuclear fuel tracker

Reply to
stuart noble

How many arms and legs will it cost? Does it take mains voltage? Is it worth chucking out a lower wattage cfl for? (Dimmable and instant on seem to be 'pluses' though.} Is it April 1 again?

spamlet

Doesn't say halogen it says incandescent. B-)

Be interesting to see one in the flesh. I guess the CT is just a case of selecting the right phosphor(s) but I still have my doubts about light intensity and distribution. An incandescent bulb radiates fairly evenly in all directions apart from where the cap is.

All the "domestic" LED lamps I have seen so far have a very directional pattern and a horrible cold blue/white light.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Exactly my thought. That weird sci-fi blue is just tolerable in my 28 led torch.

Reply to
ericp

I am surprised that the claimed 80% saving on electricity costs is exactly the same as the claimed saving for CFLs.

I thought LEDs were supposed to be an order of magnitude more efficient than CFLs.

Reply to
Bruce

So they cram masses of them in each enclosure, and we are back where we started...

spamlet

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Reply to
Bruce

Huh? Until quite recently white LEDs had a *lower* efficiency than CFLs (around 40 lumens/watt for LED compared with about 80 lm/W for CFL). I understand that an experimental 200 lm/W LED has been developed, but it will be a while before such a beast appears in a consumer product.

Richard.

Richard Russell

They may be, but the circuitry to reduce the voltage may not be. That will probably improve in time.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. ;-)

Snag is the actual junction produces a blue light which is converted by the phosphors. So efficiency goes down as you 'warm' it up.

To keep the cost down they are made up of ordinary low powered devices which are pretty directional. But higher powered types which aren't do exist. And cost a lot more.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is it not 80% saving over a CFL?

Reply to
<me9

Nuclear INDUSTRY tracker

So its mining, reactor construction and power companies, and a few others. Reprocessing etc.

Ticker code NUKP. Fully traded on the LSE.

The Natural Philosopher

dont think leds use phosphors.

They are very monochromatic. I would guess a warm light LED would use RGB LEDS and a frosted bulb to diffuse the light.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I recall that Cree were very hot about a decade ago ... looking at it again, I see that in the last year or so it has gone from $20 to $80, almost back to the heady dot-com level.

Gib Bogle

Wiki re white LEDs:

Phosphor-based LEDs

This method involves coating an LED of one color (mostly blue LED made of InGaN) with phosphor of different colors to produce white light, the resultant LEDs are called phosphor-based white LEDs. A fraction of the blue light undergoes the Stokes shift being transformed from shorter wavelengths to longer. Depending on the color of the original LED, phosphors of different colors can be employed. If several phosphor layers of distinct colors are applied, the emitted spectrum is broadened, effectively increasing the color rendering index (CRI) value of a given LED.

Reply to
Rod

I don't think so, as it quotes the LED version at 12W for a 60W incandescent equivalvent.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ah...re-emmission.