Petrol in cans

The vagueness of the BBC page is what prompted me for help and clarification. The later referenced page (above) is much more helpful. This evening, we went shopping at Morrison's, and they had a petrol discount coupon offer. How convenient! So I filled up the car, then filled up the red metal can, and presented my fifteen-minute-old coupon for 12p off per litre. It may have helped that the car's location completely obscured the can from the attendants, but it worked fine.

Reply to
Davey

I don't know. I'm not aware of the markings on my stove bottles beyond the stove instructions - though I'm also not aware of the markings on my lawnmower. OTOH it is adequately marked and designed.

Oh yes, pissing around with lemonade bottles or suchlike is a problem. Petrol needs treating with respect. But a petrol stove bottle from the land of the lawyer?

Reply to
Clive George

I frequently used to overflow 5 litre cans when filling them at petrol station pumps because it's difficult to see the level in the can with the nozzle in the hole. I have since discovered that the best technique is to fill the cans first (i.e. before the car if you are fuelling that as well) and *watch the pump* until exactly 5l has been delivered. It's amazingly difficult to persuade oneself to watch the pump but it really is the easiest way to avoid overfilling.

Reply to
tinnews

When I filled mine yesterday, the pump shut itself off automatically just as though it was pumping into a car's fuel tank. Why would it not do so?

Reply to
Davey

Insert the nozzle 2" into the can, open trigger fully, wait for cutoff. Now your can is 3/4 full. Withdraw nozzle to 1" in and half open trigger - wait for cutout. Now can is nearly full. Withdraw nozzel until only just in the can opening and *drizzle* fuel in until it is as full as you want.

Works for me :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's never done that for me, always splashes out unless you stop it yourself before the can is full.

Reply to
tinnews

I think it's easier to simply watch the dial on the pump. :-)

Reply to
tinnews

My mate used a van when stockpiling fuel. The slack cow on the till never twigged that he had put over £200 worth of diesel in the van.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Well, I made a mistake. I missed something. I admit it with no great angst!

You must lead a sad boring life if you need to respond so sarcastically to simple mistakes.

Am I to presume that you have never made a mistake, missed something, misread, etc etc

Or are you one of our superheroes?

Reply to
John Price

Strange. That is how the auto cutoff is supposed to work, so unless you don't insert the nozzle properly, then the auto cutoff of the pump needs to be reported immediately as a safety hazard, and the pump not used again until it's fixed.

Reply to
Davey

Did he put it into cans, or just fill the back of the van up with it? =C2=A3200 worth of diesel won't take you far nowadays.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

That depends on the vehicle. I get about 600 miles from 90 quids worth.

Reply to
charles

So can I if I keep off the motorway, then the fuel economy drops.

But in the case in question this was a VH Combo with a 50 litre tank (just like mine).

It is not £200 to fill one of those ATM.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Some women are like that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I love the irony of how someone can type " It's not hard to see why civilisations is collapsing all around us" and not see how their poor grammar and/or typing skill is actually doing what they are accusing someone else of.

But having been tempted to look back at some of your previous posts, I'm concerned about you. There seems to be a clear pattern of you needing to rubbish others - is that to convince us that you are superior to all the idiots that surround you. Lie down on my couch - latent aggression - delusions of grandeur. Are you not happy in your life? Seek inner peace.

Reply to
John Price

Same auto cutoff works fine in the car.

I suspect what I'm doing is holding the nozzle very close to the top of the can so that it will put 5 litres in the can without auto-stopping, then it will splash out because there's no fuel around the nozzle to indicate fullness.

Reply to
tinnews

Why do you write a reply to John Price, but position it as a reply to me? It completely disorients the thread.

Reply to
Davey

Just wait a little ......

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

FWIW Your attitude to this friendly rib is currently shouting worse things about you than him.

Chill ...

Reply to
Adrian C

I know.