Patent cost?

The important point is whether 'very similar to what I described' amounts to being sufficiently different to be patentable in its own right.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Am I alone in being curious about the actual subject?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I corrected that for you.

Reply to
John Williamson

That was a rhetorical question, right?

Reply to
Adrian

It is certainly worth shopping him to the Patent Office.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

If I were you I would write to the person involved and suggest he submits a joint patent with you.

Without your agreement, his patent would be utterly worthless, with your agreement there's a fighting chance it might stand have some value.

To be honest, since you published details, the patent wouldn't stand if anyone found these details in the public domain.

I also suspect it is pure bluster on the guy's part to spoil any successful copy.

If you think he can seed a market for this gadget, then manufacture your own or threaten to do do so, and sell the gadget to all his customers.

Reply to
Fredxxx

If it's likely to be commercially non-viable, why not let him go ahead and lose the money? If it is successful, point out to others in the same field the prior art and let a big company spoil his party. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be cruel!

Reply to
PeterC

Apparently not. ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Its not hard to stay within the law, its just a business offer

NT

Reply to
meow2222

as the Op said that his original has been "published" what could be lost by publishing it again?

tim

Reply to
tim......

I thought that once you have revealed it to anyone without a non-disclosure agreement in place it is unpatentable. As you have published it already, no-one including yourself should be able to patent it.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

The obvious, if cruel, response would be "Harry's credibility".

Reply to
Adrian

In the distant past, publication of details of the invention _anywhere_ before the patent application was made was sufficient to make the invention unpatentable. IANAPL but I have a feeling that the Patent Office is a little more flexible these days. Publication has to be in a place that can be reasonably accessed by the general public, for a patent to be refused. Previously, a description of the invention in something like The Mongolian Yak-herder's Weekly would have constituted publication, but I think that these days the patent examiner might deem that such a publication, in an obscure language in a remote country and in a little known magazine with limited availability, did not constitute publication. A lot depends on where the OP published the description of his gadget (and on the mood of the patent examiner!).

Reply to
Chris Hogg

That's what I was told by a patent agent 40 years ago (when I was thinking of becoming one!).

A corporation that did not want to patent an idea would publish it in an obscure place, so as to stymie others whilst not handing them the information on a plate.

Reply to
GB

But there's obscure places and obscure places

ISTR that the journal has to be relevant, and certainly in English, but it doesn't have to be widely circulated

tim

Reply to
tim......

Yes, I was told exactly the same thing. Must be true. But I'm not so sure it's the same today.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Oi that's what I used to use for my Wii board. However I have improved on that and use a piece of MDF now.

Reply to
dennis

Or vice versa.. Intel's apic "infringed" a patent I had for interrupt control to multiple CPUs, we (GEC) never saw a penny (some silly sod forgot to renew it).

Reply to
dennis

In the language of the country where the patent is being sought, I'd have thought? Although English is commonly understood in most countries.

Reply to
John Williamson

Why just in English? A publication of patentable idea means it's published and so cannot/should not be valid.

Reply to
Fredxxx