Paste Residue

I have removed some wallpaper from the hall,stairs and landing and wish to paint the walls. The wall surfaces are good enough for paint but the wallpaper has left a film of paste behind. What is the best way of removing this, Sugar Soap, water and sponge, elbow grease,...??

TIA

John

Reply to
John

Hot water and sponge if it's just wallpaper paste: the stuff is extremely water-soluble. Should come off really easily.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Having just stripped enough wall paper to cover a football stadium I would say the best way is to use warm water with a little wall paper stripping solution in it (you can get it from any DIY store - it's basically just a strong detergent) and a scouring pad. If you walls don't look good enough to take the scouring pad use a softer cloth but the abrasiveness of the scourer really helps. One you have got the paste off go over it again with soft cloth and plain water to remove any wall paper stripper residue (it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes).

Although modern wall paper paste is very water soluble the older stuff isn't and requires a lot more work IMHO.

Graham

PS Good luck with the hall stairs and land> I have removed some wallpaper from the hall,stairs and landing and wish to

Reply to
doozer