Pans for an induction hob

Never had a problem. Boiling eggs I take straight off the hob and run under cold water. Never found the handles to ever be hot or even particularly warm.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Rather the opposite in fact:

1) The energy goes as close to directly into the food as is possible without resorting to microwaves;

2) A powerful induction can rival gas for speed of heating (try a pan of water on Boost and watch as 3.5kW heats it up :)

3) On the low settings they are as gentle and even as a solid plate hob.

4) Dead easy to clean.

Cons: Expensive - but I would not use anything else now.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think SV was commenting on the adapter I'd linked to (just a steel disc, really), rather than the actual induction hobs :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Or an oven glove?

Reply to
Clive George

I wasn't referring to induction-capable pans, used on an induction hob, but to the ferrous disks which are placed between the hob and non-induction-capable cookware. Using those _disks_ is a waste of time and money - an induction hob used with proper cookware, works brilliantly.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Yes. I think induction hobs work very well.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Something else... :)

Just as an add-on; a steel wok for stir-frys if that's your thing but the trick I discovered was to lay a single sheet of kitchen roll on the hob plate underneath the wok. It doesn't stop the wok from getting hot but it allows vigorous agitation of the pan without having to remove it from the hob and without the risk of scratching the hob top.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Our 'induction' Tefal frying pan is made with a steel area stuck to the bottom. The cheaper non induction version does not have this steel area.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Our copper bottomed Prestige pans did not last so well, possibly because they were originally used on a gas hob which could singe the wooden handles. The Swift pans I bought for our induction hob 12 years ago, have lasted quite well, perhaps with exception of the frying ban, were the non stick failed.

Reply to
Michael Chare

That's what I was thinking when I suggested it, really. If the only difference is a stuck on disc (which is what someone else suggested), and you already have a set of pans that you really really like, and would rather not have to replace...

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Oh - sorry, my bad.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes - my bad, sorry. I agree, seems a bit daft.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Stellar are bomb proof, scour proof, last forever, look decent and reasonably priced.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Also IME the ceramic surface is prone to scratches, which can look awful after a few years.

Reply to
Capitol

Of course, but the advantage of the sleeve, is that it can be left on - so I don't accidentally grab an oven-hot handle, after removing the pan from the oven. I have scars from that ...

Reply to
S Viemeister

We've had an induction for a while and use a variety of pans on it. The heat does seem somewhat centralised, maybe our hob isn't a great one?

I bought some Stellar pans recently that were induction specific, i'm very happy with them, they do have a much better spread of heat and keep the heat when you chuck stuff in.

I don't know where you are, we got a set at Boundary Mill, Colne, I thought they were reasonably priced.

Reply to
R D S

Quite right.

The reduction in heat coming up the sides was a much appreciated change when we went to induction.

Reply to
polygonum

When we converted, we got a mixture of pans. The largest ones we got are Stellar and they work very well. I like the shape, the handles, everything. From memory, at the time Harts seemed to be better price than many.

Our biggest pans are from the Stellar 1000 Cookware range. Love making soup in them.

Reply to
polygonum

Our pans?

They are her pans.

Reply to
ARW

Poor operation of gas hob. The flame should be adjusted to stop at or a tad before the edge of the pan base. In all my use of timber handled Prestige pans the handles didn't singe, then I rented the place out for a year, lightly burnt handles...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice