Painting plastered wall.

Just stripped some paper off a wall to reveal some nice grey plaster.

I know I have to wash it down otherwise the paste will affect the paint.

Any tips on the best thing? Just water? Sugar soap?

Secondly, I guess I'm going to have to used something to seal it with.

I've seen 'paint for new plaster' in the sheds, but is this just a money maker? Emulsion thinned 10% or PVA?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A good scrubbing brush.

I've had no problems (even years later) using thinned emulsion.

Reply to
S Viemeister

just use a flat brush and fairy liquid in warm water, wet the entire wall from top to bottom and then go over it with a damp sponge, rinsing it regularly

That guess is incorrect.

just emulsion - you can thin it if you like but it makes hardly any difference

Reply to
Phil L

There's no need to seal plaster. The point is to stop the plaster sucking the water out of the paint, or it takes much of the pva with it and the paint falls off easily. The simplest quickest solution is a water coat, followed 5 mins later by paint.

isn't everything? Water's cheap.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Thursday 31 January 2013 18:52 The Medway Handyman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I used a steamer and a scraper to take the worst of the bulk off.

Then followed with hot water, drop of Flash and a nice big "holey" floor choth. The holes give somewhere for the gooey paste to go.

But it is quite hard work...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Don't use the diluted PVA, as I once did following advice received - it basically gave the walls a non-stick surface from which the emulsion later peeled off :(

Reply to
Lobster

Don't understand that. Vinyl is an ideal surface for more vinyl IME.

Reply to
stuart noble

On new plaster I use 50/50 water/paint mix for the first coat. On old plaster less water would be needed.

Reply to
Mark

Once it's set, it doesn't necessarily mean a new layer will bond.

This became such a common mistake (apparently after it was suggested on some of the makeover programs) that some cans of paint now explicitly tell you not to do it.

In this case, you will probably find the wall paper paste has sealed the surface well enough anyway (and you can't wash it out of the surface), but I would still water down the first coat, bacause the wall paper paste may not have originally fully coated the wall, and the consequences not doing this when it was required are very difficult to fix later, when the paint starts peeling off the plaster in places.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

:) Too much PVA there, you need to avoid a slick surface if PVAing, just use enough that it all sinks in.

NT

Reply to
meow2222