Painting over window frame sealant

I'm just repainting my living room and am trying to complete the job around newly fitted UPVC double glazing. As part of the finish, the installers used transparent sealant, through which some of the old paint colour is visible. Paint will not adhere to the area covered by the sealant - I assume it's too smooth and that there's nothing for the paint to key in to.

I don't imagine that this can be roughed up with sandpaper - can anyone advise?

Reply to
JustMe

I suspect they used silicone sealant - which I doubt you'll ever get paint to adhere to. I had this problem and had to remove all the sealant where I wanted to paint and use acrylic frame sealant which you can paint over.

David Hearn

Remove the sealent, paint and then reseal.

Reply to
Graham Jones

Remove the windows, replace with real wood ones, seal with linseed oil and sand. :-)

Reply to
biff

Thanks to both of you for the info and advice - it is silicone sealant so I'll give up on trying to paint over it!

Reply to
JustMe

A quick thought: couldn't I simply run a little caulk over the silicone and then paint over that?

Reply to
JustMe

But caulk doesn't adhere to well to silicone based sealants either, so it'll probably fall off in the first splashes of rain or window opening vibrations. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Hey BW. Fair enough - it was worth a shot, anyway.

Reply to
JustMe

Pick out all the silicone and redo it all proper Mastics Seal. It's the easiest and cheapest in the long run.

I am a fairy. My name is Nuff. Ah. Fairy Nuff. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop