PA(T) Testing

Posted a while ago re this care home who wanted me to PAT test stuff.

I pointed out that I'm (a) not a qualified electrician & (b) that I haven't been on a PAT testing course - and they are fine with that (and I have that in writing).

The kit they have is a Seaward PAC 500. This seems to have been replaced with the 500 Plus.

simple bit of kit, seems very basic indeed.

Is this going to give meaningful results?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Read the IET Code of Practice and with this kit it should be a doddle. However, wouldn't you rather drive a bus for a living than do this?

The more upmarket testers feature methods of recording equipment serial numbers and results so that a log can be kept for each item tested. Otherwise it all becomes a nightmare of paperwork (if you care).

Reply to
Adrian C

I also tend to reject plugs that aren't sleeved - but that might depend on the environment in which they are used.

Reply to
charles

Most of a PAT test doesn't use any test equipment, so the test equipment alone will get you almost nowhere - it will find very few of the failures you should be expecting. You need to do a PAT test course first. You do not need to be an electrician, but you will need to understand ohms law and the difference between milliohms and megohms.

Neither you, nor the person contracting you, can sign away your liability for carrying out a safety operation competently. What you have in writing would simply make you both liable in the event you do it wrongly.

The course and exams cost £80 when I did them, but that was a while back. They take 2 days. There are other courses which don't lead to the C&G cert too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Unsleeved pins are not an automatic failure, although some organisations may want you to do more than the minimum and flag them up.

However, it's illegal to sell anything with unsleeved pins (even at a car boot sale), so if the PAT test is being done to verify something is safe to sell, then unsleeved pins would be a failure.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes.

What it won't do is sort the paperwork which is (I found) the biggest part of the job!

You need to uniquely identify each item being tested (serial number for instance), label it pass/fail, record it pass/fail in a system that can be updated annually.

Many books/sites have pro-formas that you can use to make it easy to start with and can be built upon.

has a spreadsheet that is a good pointer to what's needed.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

[Snip]

It doesn't take 2 days to learn to use a PAT tester - but it takes time to learn what a PAT test involves and why it is necesary. My course only took one day - half of which was practical testing.

Reply to
charles

The PAT tester is the least significant part of the process. You will find most of the PAT test failures before using any tester. A tester will find very few of the failures.

The PAT test course is a day, and the management of PAT testing is a day. It usually makes sense to do both, so you can explain to your customers or management what the legal requirements are for PAT testing, record keeping, frequency of retesting, etc. If you go the C&G route, one fee covers both exams, although I suppose you don't actually have to turn up to both - they are separate certificates (at least that was the case when I did them).

Of course you could write a shorter course for any one person, but these have to cater for a range of starting skill levels.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This is interesting if having time off work or too far a distance to get to a training session.

have nothing to do with the above, but will certainly be doing it this way myself.

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

I've no idea about the above either, but I would check your local technical and building trades colleges. They might be much cheaper, and they sometimes do evening or weekend sessions for people who can't come during the day. Make sure there will be hands-on exposure to the PAT test equipment, preferably different types, so you will get to know what features you will need if you are buying one afterwards.

I did the C&G Wiring Regs as 8 evening sessions, many years ago.

I've also done 2 day plastering and 2 day bricklaying courses, although not to C&G standard.

To be honest, I found them all good fun, quite apart from what you're learning.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Unnecessary IMO.

If you understand the basics of a transformer.

What the primary is, what the secondary is and how they connect via flux, V = I * R P = I * V

i.e. Schoolboy physics.

Then purchase and read throughly a copy of

Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment - £29.73 (bit steep)

watch a few PAT related videos on youtube, and answer past questions which you'll also find free on the internet, then passing the exam is a doddle. The Code of Practice book is allowed inside the exam room.

I estimate I have two and a half brain cells left yet scored 100% leaving the multiple choice exam room early. It proved I could read an index at the back of the book.

Hmmm.,,,, maybe I should jump on the bandwagon and teach this course and sell the equipment. That's where the money obviously is.

Reply to
Adrian C

So you did not do the "reading the Daily Star, buggering up the customers floor and filling the electrical back boxes and skimming over them" sections then?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Plasterers can read?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No - the Daily Star has no words.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Who else would read the Daily Star?

The recession effected the building trade. That meant less plasterers in work and so less plasterers bought the Daily Sport and the paper folded.

The remaining plasterers were left with the Daily Star.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It has the words Jordan and Celebtity Big Brother.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

> Very simple bit of kit, seems very basic indeed.

I know a fire alarm engineer who does PATS testing. He once cut the flex off an electric kettle as it failed. He just did it and said that is the way it is. I dunno.

Anybody?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

It made a horrible cup of tea?

Reply to
Adrian C

rHQq.129$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.ams...> Posted a while ago re this care home who = wanted me to PAT test stuff.

That is what I'd do. I've been presented with 3 soldering irons that failed the PAT test so I cut the leads off them, this means it's highly unlikely that someone will pick them up plug them in and say I didn;t see the sticker saying failed on it, or I didn't know the failed meant I shouldn't use it. I also cut the leads off equipment that's going to an WEE dump, to stop people trying to sell dodgy or non working equipment on, I saw a program about faulty TVs been sold in Africa .

Reply to
whisky-dave

That is what I'd do. I've been presented with 3 soldering irons that failed the PAT test so I cut the leads off them, this means it's highly unlikely that someone will pick them up plug them in and say I didn;t see the sticker saying failed on it, or I didn't know the failed meant I shouldn't use it. I also cut the leads off equipment that's going to an WEE dump, to stop people trying to sell dodgy or non working equipment on, I saw a program about faulty TVs been sold in Africa .

Has anyone heard of any new rules about PAT testing extension cables....

I was told yesterday that they are not to be PAT tested in future, except for a visual inspection, and if over 10 years, to be replaced.

I can't see this happening myself.

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor