Oxygen Bleach

Can you still get 'oxygen bleach', and where from?

(This is a substance based on hydrogen peroxide, as opposed to the usual sodium hypochlorite).

I've not seen it in the shops for a year or two, and a local janitorial supplier hasn't heard of it, although bleach tends not to be used for commercial cleaning IME.

I need it for cleaning my flat (actually a Housing Association bedsit with shared laundry and bathroom), I don't use the normal stuff at home because if it gets onto clothes it damages them, but for a lot of cleaning jobs you can't beat bleach. I recently cured a bad smell in a cleaning cupboard at work, by getting some bleach from the nearby supermarket and putting it down the sink. Got all the stains out of the porcelain too, which the approved chemicals wouldn't shift.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

Ask at the old bailey :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Do you mean it was withdrawn from sale because it can be used to make explosives? I didn't know that.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

Sorry, no idea, I was just being silly.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Sodium percarbonate, sodium perborate.

Reply to
Uncle Al

|!> (This is a substance based on hydrogen peroxide, as opposed to the |!> usual sodium hypochlorite). |! |!Ask at the old bailey :-)

IIRC Hairdressing wholesalers.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

ISTR that its been advertised on the telly, but I can't recall the name of the stuff (the power of advertising).

Advert where family arrive back from hols and demonstator grabs dirty washing in middle of airport. Another ad features a market trader style demo. In a pink tub?

Just found this; Cillit Bang Universal Power Cleaning Crystals

The Medway Handyman

milou

I've been looking out for oxygen bleach myself and wondering what's happened to it.

I've not seen it for ages. It looks like it must've been withdrawn.

Reply to
RedOnRed

I wouldn't be surprised. Better take all the sugar off the supermarket shelves as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How about typing "oxygen bleach" in google.co.uk and read the first reply ?

Reply to
milou

You mean I'm sitting here with my head wrapped in tinfoil and Domestos and in half an hour I'm not going to have those pop-star two-tone looks some website promised?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reckitt obviously wasted all that money on Vanish OxyAction adverts. You can buy it in most supermarkets.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Funnily enough i've already had the good sense to do that and it didn't return any products currently available in supermarkets.

Perhaps you'd now like to teach my granny how to suck eggs?

Reply to
RedOnRed

plonk

Reply to
milou

Hi,

Try £ shops like 99p stores, or Wilko.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

laundry bleach e.g. ace is a dilute form.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Reply to
alexander.keys1

There was a great kids book in the local library that mentioned that hydrogen peroxide mixed with manganese dioxide was what powered some WWII torpedoes. There was also a small projectile launcher experiment using the two same materials on the same page.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

The message from Owain contains these words:

Possibly, but at least the aliens and the CIA won't be able to control your thoughts in the meantime.

Reply to
Guy King