Outside Electrics

Hi all,

Just wondering if the following is possible. Basically Im thinking about making some changes to my household electics to accomodate some recessed LED lights in my patio. Please take a look at the jpeg image on this web space which will explain the current and proposed installation.

the one of previous owners has wired the existing outside light off the back of the isoloation switch for the washing machine. This is (1) on the "current" installation image and you can see the switch for the external light above it.

Im sure this must be a bodge but they have then wired the outside electrial socket straight through the wall off the back of the socket for the washing machine (2).

So what Im proposing to do is as follows: Im looking at having two circuits for outside lights on the house - one for the wall lights and another for the recessed patio lights. The latter will be powered by transformer housed outside in a weather proof box.

Under the proposed heading on the image:

(1) Existing washing machine isolation switch. (2) Where the actual washing machine plugs in. (3) Double pole switch which will go to the transformer. (4) Double pole switch which will go to the wall lights.

For the wall lights I actually want three fixtures so need a safe way of feeding these off one switch. From advice received on another thread Im using DP switches so its possible to fully isolate the circuit in the event of a short.

Is all of this possible or is it a bigger bodge than what I have currently?

Cheers,

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

washing machine switch, or the output (does turning it off isolate the outside light?)

I assume that switch 4 in the "current" installation is just a normal light switch, not a fused spur?

Is Switch 1 just an isolator, or is it actually a fused spur?

The problem I see herem from the illistrations are this...

The washing machine needs a 13A supply There is a light switch (Normally rated at 6A) (4 in the "Current" installation diagram) connected to the ring main, via either an unfused isolator, or a 13A rated spur - this is very BAD!

Can you confirm this is the case?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Switch 4 in the current installation is a standard light switch yes.

Switch 1 is what I would call an isolator - its one with the built in light to show that its switched on. However the light switch is only looped out of the back and switch 1 does not have to be on for the light to work. Plus its not fused!

I can confirm what you are saying is the case so its looks like Ive got some re-jigging to do. What I forgot to add is that the previous owner has actually connected the pool pump off the back of the exterior socket. Like I said it was a bodge. That has now been disconnected.

Perhaps the solution here is to put the new switches I want onto the ring and ensure they are correctly rated as I understand that is the real problem here! In the interim Ill disconnect the light until I can make all of this safe!

Reply to
Charles Middleton

On 12 Sep 2005 03:28:54 -0700, "Charles Middleton" scrawled:

I think the problem here is the lack of fusing. I would be inclined to make switches 3 and 4 switched fused spurs with 3\5A fuses for the lighting.

The other thing is, as you say, that switch 3 is a spur off the ring and then you've got switch 4 spurred off this, which is a no-no. You would have to extend the ring up to and between switches 3 and 4 to get it right.

Reply to
Lurch

Here is what I think you should do (I am not a qualified electrician though!)...

I am unsure if an isolator for the w/m is OK, I have never seen this, I have only seen switched fused spurs used - I would change this for a switched fused spur (13A fuse) if it were me.

I would want to add two more spurs into the ring, one for the outside lights, and one for the outside socket (so both are independently, easily isolated)

So, on the shopping list

2 x Light Switches
x switched, fused spurs
x Single back boxes
2.5mm cable
1.5mm cable
earth sleeving for the Earths
strip of connector block
you use the new colour cable, then you should stick a sticker on the CU stating that both sets of colours are used
of the power (obviously!) Remove the isolator from the ring in it's place, connect the three new spurs, daisy chained (so one half of the ring connects to the first one and the other connects to the last one with a loop from the first to second, and another from second to third, all in the INPUT terminals of the spurs, using the 2.5mm cable.

Connect one of the spurs to the w/m socket, install a 13A fuse and Label the spur as w/m isolator - 13A

Connect another spur to the external socket, install a 13A fuse, and label as Outside Socket - 13A

Connect the last remaining spur to two light switches using the 1.5mm cable, install a 3A fuse and label it Outside Lights 3A - Either take both cables back to the Spur, or daisy chain them (this would probably be easier)

Use the connector block for the Neutrals in the light switches (or used a DP switch (more expensive!)

Make sure you sleeve all the exposed earth connections with the correct earth sleeving.

If you do not have RCD protection on the ringmain, use two RCD spurs inside

for the outside stuff.

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Thanks for the interesting info.

Is it not possible I can actually connect the lights directly to the fused spurs and the use the switches on those to control the lights? If this is feasible I probably dont want to do it anyway as I really need to use DP switches for the acutal lights control. Im just trying to avoid having loads of switches around the kitchen but obviously if thats whats required thats what Ill have to fit.

Thinking about this further on the ring prior to the curren isolation switch is a fused spur switch for the boiler. This controls the boiler directly and there is no additional switch after the fused spur and before the boiler.

The exterior wall socket will no longer be on the installation as I intend to reuse the hole to route the cabling for my exterior recessed patio lights.

Also - in your description isnt light switch 2 technically a spur of a spur?

Cheers,

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

I did think about eliminating the two light switches, but I assumed you wanted to control your two lighting circuits independently, if not, then you can just switch using the spur switch! (I am fairly sure the spur switch will be DP)

I this is a DP switched spur, then it is fine, if it is just a fuse without a switch, then I think you will find this is against the regs (Unless the boiler is then plugged into a socket supplied by the fused spur)

Yep, but as this circuit is now a radial, protected by the 3A fuse, you can spur of a spur off a spur off a spur etc... (AFAIK)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Cheers, I think what I am going to do is to put two switched spurs into the ring (just checked with TLC and they are DP) and fuse them at 3 amps. Ill then use these to switch the light fittings as well.

Any objections from anyone or does this sound ok?

For the washing machine - presumably the reason that this isnt on a switched spur is because under the counter there is a plug socket (switched again) and the washing machine plug itself has a 13 amp fuse?

The intention now is to put this on a fused spur.

Cheers,

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

On 13 Sep 2005 01:16:22 -0700, "Charles Middleton" scrawled:

Think that's what I originally suggested you do, so I would say that's an excellent idea.

I'd leave it as it is, there's no reason it can't be on a DP switch, it's just that it's more common to see a switched fused spur on instead. If you think about it, it's no different to spurring off a ring with a junction box, no fuse there on the spur point and this washing machine socket is just that, a spur from the ring.

Reply to
Lurch