outdoor stairs slippery when wet

We don't seem to have an Aussie equivalent to this group, so I hope I'm allowed to ask a question here.

Our stairs to the street are of a glazed terracotta tile. Despite each tile having 3 grooves to channel away water, the major part of each tile's surface is flat and it's very slippery after rain.

Is there a coating I could paint onto the glaze that would give it a durable non-slip finish? Probably it's needed only for a 1.5" strip along in from the edge and rolling over the curved edge itself.

The steps are subject to baking hot sun from midday on in summer, so a rubbery coating might soften or melt or soon perish. Something with sand or powdered glass might work, if it can be persuaded to grip the vitreous glaze and hang on. Is there such a paint? Is it durable?

I suppose the ideal would be sand in a clear base. Next best would be a white base.

Reply to
John Savage

No idea if would be acceptable from an aesthetic perspective - but what about yacht anti-slip paint?

HTH Richard (also Savage!)

Reply to
Richard

G'day mate!

MM. water does that..

You have GLAZED tiles? With respect, chip em up and start over.

The ideal is NOT to use *glazed* ceramic tiles. Its bad enough in the bathroom...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

================================== I would suggest that you 'flat' the glaze with a coarse sanding disk or belt sander. The effect will be that the steps will look as if they're naturally worn by use.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

We had a similar problem here at work. I got a company to surface treat the terracotta like tiles and the problem went away. I can't remember their name but since they're UK that won't help anyway. Google for Non-slip floor treatments and you should find a local equivalent. It's like a mild acid that microscopically etches the surface.

John

Reply to
John

Yes, we use deck paint for slippery-when-wet garden steps.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You could varnish a strip and sprinkle a little carborundum grit on it. Carborundum is used on boat surfaces where a non slip surface is required and much better than sand as a friction material. You should be able to buy it from any boatyard or supplier of fibreglass materials. (You could also sprinkle it on a strip of GRP Resin painted on the step rather than varnish).

It would probably need touching up every year - the grit provides a secure surface so any twisting movement of the foot is passed to the varnish which won't adhere brilliantly to the tiles and will wear with time. It isn't a big job to touch up though.

Reply to
Peter Parry

There ought to be something in the 55 different products on the pages you can reach from here:

not, these people also do a range of non-slip products:

Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Jim Alexander

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. Deck paint looks like the best solution. A strip of light grey will highlight the edge of each stair for night safety, too.

Reply to
John Savage