Outbuilding roof type and planning

I'm building a shed out of bricks reclaimed from an outbuilding. It'll be about 15ft by 11 ft. I was going to have an apex roof but a shortage of bricks has led me to consider having a hipped roof. The house and conservatory are hipped so it'll match.

However have just discovered this on the planning portal:

"Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of

2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof."

Does this mean I can go to 4m high with an apex roof but only 3m with a hipped roof? What does 'dual pitch' mean?

mark

Reply to
mark

Dual pitch means (I asume) a roof with a peak and opposing slopes. I also assume that this is what you mean by an apex roof.

So the 3 metre limit should apply. This seems reasonable, because it is really governing wall height - with a single pitch roof, especially with a shallow slope, the roof part of the building takes up a lot less vertical height.

The other thing to watch out for is the roofing material and your distance from the boundary. According to my local Building Control they would expect a tiled roof if you are within 1 metre of the boundary, to comply with the following: "you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials."

assume your building will be more than 2 metres from any boundary, otherwise:

"Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse."

HTH

Davve R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I'd maybe take advice from your local Planning department. A hipped roof is basically an apexed roof with the ends sliced off, so I'd not be certain why anyone would want to enforce a lower limit for a hipped roof - could simply be that the notion of a hipped roof wasn't in the mind of whoever drafted the regulations.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Shed will be brick and tile. By apex roof I mean a two sided roof such as a standard 8 by 6 shed would have.

If 'dual pitch' means the same as apex, I can go to 4m high. Going to a hipped roof , with 4 sides, means same height wall at the eaves but without the gable triangles of bricks, ie., less wall. What I don't understand is, if the height is now restricted to 3m, then I can't put a less obtrusive hipped roof on as the head of the door frame is already at

2.2m

My train of thought was that pitch = angle. In this context 'dual pitch' might mean an asymetrical roof with say one side at 60deg and another at 30 deg. In which case a 4 sided hipped roof all at 30 deg would be a mono-pitch. I don't know.

mark

Reply to
mark

"A hipped roof is basically an apexed roof with the ends sliced off,..."

I like that description! The project is underway and I'd rather not alert planning. I just want to have my defence ready should they get wind of it.

mark

Reply to
mark

Mansard roof?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I think so, yes.

two pitches. One either side of the apex, sureley?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No!

A dual pitched roof is one where there are two different pitches - ie it goes up steeply one side and shallow the other.

hipped roof or a roof with two gables or an apex roof are all single pitched roofs - all the pitches are the same.

Reply to
Jim

Thanks for that explanation. Although some of the google examples show apex roofs.

Taking that definition back to the planning rule:

"Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof."

My hipped roof shed must be must be no more than 3m high, but if somehow I can make one of the roof angles different I can go to 4 m. Seems to defy logic.

mark

Reply to
mark

Yeah, you're right - I saw that just after I hit the post button. Apologies, I was dead sure I had the correct answer.

Reply to
Jim

An entirely fair point. However, there's nothing to stop you picking up the phone and making a general enquiry about their interpretation. There's shouldn't be any need to give your name.

But I fully understand your preference to remain below the parapet ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

I have emailed my local planners asking for clarification (tried to ring them but they were unavailable). I presume from your response that you will be more than 2 metres from any boundary. I will post the reply when it arrives.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Doh!

Of course, I meant the 4 metre rule! I blame the computer.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

In spite of how it seems to be worded, I would be surprise if a hipped roof is treated differently to gabled one.

Reply to
John Rumm

It will be 2m or more from three of my boundaries, as for the other one I'll take the fifth :-) Who wants a shed stuck in the middle of their lawn? !!!

mark

Reply to
mark

Construction is on hold today as it's raining.

mark

Reply to
mark