OTT post Uncle's special shaving technique

The latest claim by our resident *superbrain* , is that the best way to shave is to use a *blunt razor* and *no water* (I kid you not).

Reply to
Bod

He *really* believes that it is the best method.

Has anyone tried Uncle Peter's method of shaving....and survived ?

Reply to
Bod

I never said blunt razor, get it right. I suggested if you were hurting yourself dry shaving then your blade was perhaps too sharp [for someone clumsy]. I thought only people shaving for the first time cut themselves?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

*No one* (in their right mind) would shave their face *dry* with a bladed razor.....especially using a blade that is not 100% sharp.
Reply to
Bod

For those who remember "Letter from America" may remember that Alastair Cooked experimented with shaving. first he dis away with cream, then with water, and in the end shaved with a dry razor. He maintained that it was as good as the normal way. Mind you he is dead now, how I miss his letters!

Reply to
Broadback

See, shaving dry is lethal.

Reply to
Scott M

:-)

Reply to
Bod

It will rip his scrotal sack.

Reply to
ARW

That could lead to brain damage on him :-)

Reply to
Bod

It works fine for me. And the blunter the blade the more comfortable it is, as it cuts less! Eventually not doing anything at all. A brand new sharp blade dry gives me a very close shave without cutting my skin open. You must be very clumsy or have very wrinkled skin.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

How could it be painful? A sharp blade slices the hairs off easily. If the blade is blunt, it just runs over the hairs and doesn't cut them.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Does he have a pyramid or just a face makde of leather. Tell him he needs one of those wonder machines called a no no as seen on tv.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, I well recall that episode. He got the idea from some famous American, and signed off with an assurance that if worked for him, even though 'brother, do I have a tough beard!' or similar.

Like others here I tried it at the time and have never been convinced.

IME the important factors for a clean close bladed shave are - HOT water - a bit of 'soap' (shaving cream, whatever, doesn't make much difference. I think mainly it's just that the resultant foam keeps the fuzz wet, rather than just draining off) - leave the hot wet mixture on for a few minutes to soften the hair - sharp blade of your choice

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Yup, that works for me.

Reply to
Bod

What puzzles me is in the advert they show a young girl removing facial hair, men removing body hair. Why no facial hair from men?

Reply to
Broadback

If in a hurry, then having a good hot shower will soften the bristles enough to shave them close and smooth, IME.

The blade does need to be nice and sharp, though. A second use disposable is preferable. They're a bit unpredictable at first use.

Reply to
John Williamson

That still leaves quite a large number of people doesn't it ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes, I agree on both points (though I happen to use a 'safety blade' myself, most of the time).

Cheers J^n

Reply to
jkn