OTish. Recommendations for oil boiler makes please

Looks like the end is nigh for my old Myson oil boiler, unless I can find a replacement burner unit. It's 25 years old so I guess it's about time. I want an outside 15 - 20 kW boiler, to free up kitchen space, avoid having the flue lined and have an easy route for the condensate.

There have been plenty of threads about the relative merits of different makes of gas boiler. Does anyone have any thoughts on condensing oil boilers? What are the potential problems in an outside installation? I won't be fitting it myself but would like to be armed with knowledge when I have people in to quote.

Thanks in advance

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

I have a warmflow bluebird in my garage at the moment and have had no real issues with it. If I can't go to gas in the future will be thinking on this.

curious

Which model of burner is yours fitted with? I have a couple of Riello burners in East Yorkshire and ebay often has various oil burners for sale

Reply to
cynic

I have been trying to get a Riello second-hand. I have even asked Riello to suggest a new model that will match, but they seem reluctant, and come out with the usual, 'Change to a new boiler'. No doubt your name suggest what you think about that! Could you please email me with details of the burners that you have?

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Huge

>Yes I saw those, but its a Mectron 2 that I need. I am trying to find out if the newer 40s will work.

Reply to
Peter Scott

Thanks for that link - I hadn't thought of Ebay as a source of Riello spares. Not that I need any at the moment but it is good to know they are around.

Thanks also to Curious for his link to Warmflow - again not currently necessary, but the time will sadly come.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Sorry, can't help. It's just that I have a 30 y/o oil boiler and I too regularly get the pursed lips, sucking air, you'll have to buy a new one treatment from "engineers", the last time over a pair of ignition electrodes which I got from the web for £15.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks for all comments. I'm glad to say that the person who now services my boiler has acquired a much newer Electro-Oil burner unit for me. Ten years old and came out of a boiler whose tank failed. So far it's quiet and working perfectly. So with a bit of luck I might not need to replace the Myson just yet.

The results of my researches, including valuable comment from said service man, is that, of this list of condensers, Grant is probably the most reliable: Trianco Firebird Worcester Warmflow Grant Eurocal

Another thing for the cynics amongst us. I looked at the government grant scheme for boiler scrappage. Nothing left in it of course, but the Myson didn't qualify anyway. The reason is that the current boiler must be less than 70% efficient. How extra-ordinary that most of the boilers listed were *exactly* 70% efficient. Amazin init? Hee hee

He hadn't heard of the component repair service at cetltd.com. It has been in earlier threads but perhaps there are people who don't know about it, so I thought I'd mention it again.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott