OT: Windows Live Mail as newsgroup client?

I've just installed Live Mail on my PC so that I can continue to access Hotmail using a mail client (not that I use Hotmail very often, anyway!)

It's kindly imported all my accounts - including my news accounts from OE - but I haven't tried using it for news.

Have any of you tried it - and does it overcome any of the limitations of OE? [I use Quotefix with OE, anyway - which makes it a lot better behaved]. If it did what OE+Quotefix does all on its own without needing an add-on it might just be worthwhile.

The blurb which told me I could no longer use OE for Hotmail also said something about being able to send SMS messages to mobiles from Live Mail - but when you try to do it, you apparently need to install some more bits and pieces - and it's almost certainly not free to use. Anyone know how much it costs to send an SMS to a UK-based mobile?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'm using it, through free tera news, coz I'm a couple of time-zones east of you. It works fine for news, adding servers and e-mail accounts is easier than OE, it has the old OE quirks of ignoring the 'download 300 headers' setting, in fact it seems to be OE rebadged with a slightly different appearance. selecting 'show menu' reveals an identical menu structure to OE for tools-options. It appears more stable, but I frequently get a message blaming another application for corrupting the news database, but recovery was successful each time. Replying to a newsgroup puts the cursor at the bottom of the quoted message (hurrah). As for sending SMS, you need to setup a fone to use with this service, and messages cost the same, it's just easier (for me anyway!) than two thumbs text input into the fone. Good points: With multiple e-mail accounts it gives a summary of all e-mails received for all accounts with a single click access without needing to open each account individually. Adding an e-mail account with any of the popular providers automatically configures pop and smtp servers etc. The Windows Live bit handles log-in to MSN as well, if you use it. It handles RSS feeds and podcasts too.

I've no real complaints after 3 months with it.

HTH

Reply to
Keith

Thanks - that's useful.

Could you please elaborate a bit more about sending SMS messages to mobiles. When you say you have to set up a phone - do you mean your own phone, from which the texts will then appear to come? How do you actually pay for sending texts - do you pay MS (which presumably means buying credits in advance) or do you pay your normal mobile phone operator?

Coming back to the emailing side, it seems to have a facility for sending embedded photos as thumbnails, with the actual photos being on an MS server (allegedly for 30 days). Have you used this? I've received a couple of such emails (into my ordinary email account, accessed via Outlook - not OE or Live Mail) and they say that Live Mail users can download all the photos at one go. However, when I forwarded one of these to my Hotmail accounts and accessed it in Live Mail, it said the photos were no longer on the server when I tried to download them in one go - even though the original email was only sent a couple of days ago, and even though I could still download them one at a time. Any comments?

Reply to
Roger Mills

There's no extra charge for using the service, credit your phone as usual, the charges for texts are taken from your phone as usual, the texts appear to have come from your own phone as usual, the only requirement is to register the phone number with Windows Live beforehand.

Yes, regularly. Hotmail has an outgoing mail size limit, the 'photo-mail' feature means I can send thumbnails, keeping the outgoing mail below limits, but the recipient just clicks the thumbnail to access the full size picture from the live mail server. This works well, with the 30 day limitation.

I've received a couple of such

Not sure, perhaps a live-mail specific link was stripped out of the message by Outlook when you forwarded the mail.

No problem

Reply to
Keith