OT: Windows 1, Linux 5

That is NoScript warning you about your settings. How come you didn't know that?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

No, I think it's got some hardware fault somewhere (or I hope it has) and I now have new / different RAM, Motherboard and SSD in the hope that it's one of them.

Yes, quite a few times over the years and I ought to have a copy permanently on something just to play with.

Yup, it is 'different'. (and 'young', I like it!). ;-)

No one I know of would stay away during that chat. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That is using the wrong drivers.

Or faulty hardware.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most tend to realise they have behaved like idiots when they sober up the next day but excusing their behaviour goes with their territory.

The problem you have is the low self esteem the constant knowledge of your problem brings you. Once you get so far down the road there is no more road to redemption, just the one to perdition and you have already stopped enjo ying that by the look of things.

Do you ever read your earlier posts for example? Even fairly recent ones?

I don't know how valuable modern help is but If you ever decide you need it , I wish you well. I am sure the local self help groups are badly flawed, t hough, so I wouldn't bother if I were you. Can you just drink yourself to d eath before you are broke?

Have fun, either way.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I don't know. My mate has built a duplicate PC and is also running Mint 17.3 and his appears (so far anyway) to be fine (also with 8G of RAM).

Sure, but this is a current Gigabyte board.

Ok.

None of that is relevant if you happen to need Windows programs that aren't also available on Linux (or OSX etc).

They (via me) would only be interested in anything that was aimed as the 'std user' and was being used out there in some quantity by such so that it was a near to 'consumer ready / compatible' as possible.

It's good that you have the option. However, it seems many of those who do only use their computers as typewriters and so pretty well an OS should be able to manage that.

My current preference (on reasonable spec machines especially) is Mint MATE or Cinnamon.

Ok.

Pass? ;-)

I think I have one reasonably local but from the emails I was seeing suggested it was more like ~3 blokes meeting in a pub. ;-(

Quite especially 'these days' when even fewer people are interested in 'computers or computing' as a hobby.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

ROFLMAO!

Once again you display a level of bigotry and ignorance and come so wide of the mark its almost beyond amusing, to the point of being seriously concerning.

Don't project your problems onto me.

I may have issues, but alcohol has never ever been one of them.

Now what in YOUR life suggests to YOU that it might be?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

+1.

Given how thick D i m is, he's probably fitted the wrong memory or zapped wit with static. But when he knows f*ck-all about installing and configuring PC hardware, it's much easier for him to blame it on Linux.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It is using whatever drivers Linux automatically offer for either the internal (Intel) or add-in (nVidia) video cards.

Well, it seemed that Linux (only, W10 and Memtest were happy) of the memory modules was questionable as removing it made the 'issue' seem to go away (for the range and duration of the tests I was able to give it). However, even after replacing the second (and proven to cause instability to (only) Linux)RAM module with another brand new one, the problem has been vastly reduced but still there.

I have now got access to more / different brand RAM, a Motherboard and SSD, and I might as well while I'm checking out the longshots, take a new PSU as well.

Remember, during all these issues, Windows 10 has not misbehaved once and so neither I nor my inlaws (potentially) would have had an issue, had we not been also trying to run Linux.

I'm not blaming Mint (specifically) here as I have it running very reliably on many other machines, it's just that Mint seems to be having an issue on this particular hardware and unlike with Windows, there isn't anyone who would be willing to do anything about it, simply because it's Linux. If Windows 10 wouldn't run on it, we could get some support.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oh look, that other coward has crept out from under it's rock!

Bwhaha! ... Apart from doing so professionally and other for over 30 years! I wonder if this Tomlinson coward was ever a CNI or MCT or presented any courses covering PC hardware support, good working practices and ESD protection etc (outside being an IT support / electronics repair guy for 20+ years).

No, it's actually no more than stating the facts as they happen. The

*EXACT SAME HARDWARE* is very happy running Windows 10 and the Memtest utility from a Linux DVD. Not the sort of outcome one would normally expect when using damaged hardware eh?

Is it lonely in that basement Mike? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think that about sums him up.

Reply to
Martin Barclay

Oh grow up FFS you sad stalking troll. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m