Reply to
Huge

Or you could be wrong. Which you are.

Reply to
Huge

Cite?

Reply to
Bod

Illegal gas fitters can put your life at risk - Gas Safe Register

"If your gas fitter is not Gas Safe registered then they are illegal. If your gas engineer is qualified and registered to do gas work in your home they will be able to ..."

"It is against the law for anyone to do work on gas appliances in the United Kingdom, Isle of Man or Guernsey unless they are Gas Safe registered."

"If you think someone is working on gas illegally, report them to us and we will investigate."

Reply to
Bod

No it is NOT. It is illegal to fit a boiler for someone else, but you may do it in your own home. I have checked this with a registered gas fitter.

Reply to
charles

You like many other's miss out the bit about charging them for it, doing it for yourself is another matter so sez my Gas safe friend who's been the in the bizz for a very long time....

Reply to
tony sayer

No it's not. You need to be competent to work on the gas supply in your own home and I am.

Far less chance of fire or flood when installed by a *competent* DIYer in his own home. They tend to take far more care than many pros.

I'll have to print off a gas safe certificate then. Be just as useful as a real one.

You really must stop believing every word you read on that sort of site.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You too are wrong.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not surprised that Bod got this wrong, but you're generally more competent.

You're wrong. This has been discussed many times on here.

Reply to
Clive George

If you do it yourself, you should let a Gas Safe engineer to do the gas connection and the flue plus set the gas rate etc to cover your back if nothing else.

Reply to
Bod

My next door neighbour (an elderly widow) was told by a gas safe fitter - who was servicing her multi-point - that only a gas safe fitter could install a new cooker for her. And her cooker is electric...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have my own experiences to back their claims up.

Reply to
Bod

Why?...

Reply to
tony sayer

They claim to be non-political politicians and then try to resort to political tricks. The LibDems do this too - I once saw a leaflet from a LibDem candidate for a council seat near Huntingdon: "I am not a politician but I am a committed Liberal Democrat". This is clearly a lie as if you are a committed anything then by definition you are a politician. I'm afraid UKIP are just the same.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Because if you let the Gas Safe engineer do those things and let him commission it, you can get the Gas Safe certificate and have peace of mind as well. It is important to keep this certificate as it may be needed if you sell your home or if you choose to remortgage. The certificate belongs with the property so if you sell your home then the certificate will need to be passed on to the next owner.l.

Reply to
Bod

Out of interest, why do you think a competently made gas connection is any more likely to leak than a water one as regards DIY? Or more difficult to check for leaks?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And the chances are he'll charge a ridiculous amount for this - if you can find one willing to do so. It is one of these things that has no place in the private sector. Talk about a licence to print money.

Every survey I've ever seen is adamant about having such things checked before buying. A bit of paper means zilch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's been plenty of tales on this group of people responding to the buyers requests for certificates etc with "No" and no problems resulting.

Reply to
Clive George

No. Why do you ask?

Reply to