OT:Why shops continue to die ...

Years ago I used to try on shoes and, when one fitted, I'd take the other from several pairs on the rack and there was sometimes a difference - but I'm only about a quarter-size difference. I have seen a couple of shoe shops with BOGOF - either useful or mind-boggling!

Reply to
PeterC

Java Jive

It does :-)

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Back in the 70s peole brought vinyl records and sony walkmans. Other like myself brougt rack system hi-fis and speakers that rivled wardro= bes for size ;-) =20

Now everyone listens to mps with yheadphones or at least the vast majoroity= do.

You mean like an Apple store ?

Internet accessable info gives you that, and as for build quality I think m= ost people understand the differnce between buying an MP3 player at an Appl= e store and one from poundland.

I brought a TV from amazon for ~=A3300 at argos it was ~=A3500 .

Reply to
whisky-dave

Not the zip up furry booties I hope.

I just put a second, thicker, pair of socks on as well as the slippers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, although that might have been better.

Could do that I spose. But its easier to take them off than sox would be, when my feet then overheat.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's ages since I've bought anything _in_ Staples, but I do often order from them on line. They don't charge extra for deliveries to IV27.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Some of the work shoes with steel toecaps and steel sole plate come in wide fittings and can be extremely comfortable. I have 2 pairs in black leather costing around £15/pair.

Reply to
alan

Yes - I am sure they can. But in my case it is the combination of extreme width and extreme height of instep. (And I need to be able to wear any shoes with an orthotic insert.) They are the sort of footwear that, just sometimes, I can get away with for a while so long as I do not lace them up properly. Then my feet start screaming...

Reply to
polygonum

Online shops already pay commissions to affiliates and to outfits like quidco etc. Does not seem like so much of a stretch to extend the same idea to paying for retail display space.

(in fact Amazon are already beginning to do this sort of thing in deals with the likes of Waterstones)

Reply to
John Rumm

However they never have black school shoes available in all three sizes that we need for our three children at the same time, necessitating a return the next weekend or a trip to another branch.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Any shop with retail space is going to cost more than a shop without. So if it's a commodity item (part number 123ABC456) then people will look and then buy online from someone else who undercuts.

There are four ways round this:

  1. Charge people to look at the goods even if they don't buy
  2. Make sure you win whichever way people buy it
  3. Make yourselves the only supplier
  4. Win on delivery costs

1) is unlikely to fly, though you could be creative (eg a subscription to view as much as you like).

2) is the Apple approach - even if you walk in the Apple Store and then buy online from Amazon, Apple still make a profit. The Apple Store is mostly about brand and advertising, not shifting boxes.

3) is common in clothing (a particular design of jumper is only available from M&S) but limited in other markets (eg cameras, even if people like Currys and John Lewis try to get 'special' models made for them). It's also much of the reason quidco works - those £20 teapots from Whittards only actually cost a couple of quid, which is why they can offer them with 20% Quidco - but not worth it if you can buy the identical from TeapotsDirect for a fiver.

4) works if delivery is awkward for some reason (we don't buy petrol online).

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

What about the rent and overheads for the shop and the cost of training these people? That ultimately has to be factored into the price charged, which will make it more pricey than simply going online and having your geegaw drop-shipped from the warehouse.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Mark escribió:

That's when you down tools and walk out, and refuse to pay. They'll soon get the message.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

------------8><

So-called special models in the electronics market are sometimes nothing special at all. they simply have a different character within the model designation that denotes the supply channel. HP, for example, do this with iPAQs (or did - not sure offhand if they still sell 'em)..

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

The spec is also normally slightly different 4GB RAM instead of 2 etc. These subtle spec/model number changes also mean that the store has no obligation to honour the "find it cheaper elsewhere and we'll refund the difference + 10%" headline marketing. You can't find the same spec/model elsewhere as it is only sold by that store.

It's not only tech gadgets either, Karcher pressure washers in B&Q are another. I don't like it as it may make getting spares later awkward as your model will be "discontinued" when the one it's based on and shares

99.9% of parts won't be and the information provided in store rarely mentions "exclusive to..."
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We find if we forget to do the shoes/uniform shopping early, then stocks of everything in all stores are low. Try to avoid doing that sort of shopping in the last fornight of the holidays...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They didn't. They went out of business.

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
Java Jive

And they seem not to restock during term-time.

Reply to
Mark