OT Spiders

Yes I know I should be asking in a gardening newsgroup but as they say there are a lot of knowledgeable people here so I thought I'd ask here first.

Does anyone know if we have green spiders in the UK? I just found this one in the garden and it looked a bit out of place, the green part was about 4mm long. Also, although not shown in the photo it had spun a web across the curve of the leaf it was on and appeared to be hiding behind it, not a style I've seen before, maybe I should get out more?

Bill

I've never seen anything like it!

Do ask in uk.rec.gardening, there are some very clever folk there, I think I could name one who'd answer your question.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Reply to
Paul Herber

Could be an Araneus cucurbitinus.

Take a look here -

Ziggur

Reply to
Ziggur

Hmm - I thought the plant world was bad for it's naming, but I see that this poor creature has 8 synonyms given in it's Wikipedia entry !

Interesting what DIY covers !!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

playing hide and seek with them.

Reply to
mogga

In message , mogga writes

ask.

Reply to
Bill

interesting ;-) Some sort of transmitter PA stage by the looks of it?

Reply to
John Rumm

Looks like a pair of old 4CX250s or similar. Someone who's had their licence for roughly 33/35 years...

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Bob Eager writes

A pair of 8877s / 3CX1500A7 ?kW on 13.5MHz, ex plasma generator, the PA coil is 10mm tube! One of my projects that is waiting for a bit of spare time, seems a shame just to have it on 20m, which it may just about go on as is.

Lord help one of those spiders if it wandered in there!

Reply to
Bill

Haven't done any myself for many years...was I right about the number of years?

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Bob Eager writes

34 years , Oh no I'm old! Thanks I was having a good day until I just worked that out! :-)
Reply to
Bill

Thought I was right with 33/35 years!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Never had that sort of kit to play with when I was five.... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill saying something like:

you didn't stand and look closely at it too long, else it would have been up your nose quicker than you could say 'I'b god a code'. Once installed in the nasal passages they are a right bugger to shift, but very useful in trapping small flies that might otherwise cause irritating coughs.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon