OT. Solar PV

And no unforeseeable situations either.

Unforseen, yes, but not unforseeable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No problem at all . Quite welcome the idea. We live not that far from Sizewell in Suffolk.

Question ..how many problems in the UK and deaths resulting from accidents and or incidents in the nuclear industry have there been?.

You are rather, shall we say, short-sighted on this issue we will have to replace Oil used for transport and food production. Notice that supplies aren't being discovered at an alarming rate but the price of Oil is rising at a fair old rate. Might be OK today but tomorrow?..

Just how are you going to run industry public transport etc?.

Come on then tell us how are we going to do that ?..

When people start to get abusive they have run out of valid reasoning.....

Reply to
tony sayer

Abuse.. Cannot you structure a better argument than that?..

Reply to
tony sayer

So where is it going to pump from and to?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Harry doesn't even realise that of his personal average power consumption (average is about 5Kw per person) only 25% at best is consumed in terms of electricity, and less than 30% in terms of domestic heating. Indeed 30% of it is 'spent' abroad in terms of manufacturing in foreign countries.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Provided that they cover all types on building not just the "easy and cheap to do loft and cavity walls.

Up to date information about the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) seems to be sadly lacking and behind schedule.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You should have said nuclear _energy_ industry. The _weapons_ industry has had quite a few incidents.

The power industry seems to have killed.... rummages... two people, excepting the Soviet Union (Chernobyl, and the icebreaker Lenin) and whatever the final score is from Fukushima. TBH that's surprisingly low and I suspect under-reported. Just building things as big and heavy as a reactor usually kills a few people.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yes. Currently, insulating cavities in existing blocks of flats is problematic because of the need to get agreement from all the owners.

I just happen to have this river flowing past my garden and 1.5 acres of grass paddock waiting for piping:-)

Should I get on with laying in the under floor pipe work??:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Insulation grants here in Australia were a disaster - just attracted the get rich quick chancers

Tony Bryer

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

two or three dead in fuku but two were killed by the tsunami and one head a heart attack which prolly doesnt count.

So deaths due to it being a reactor, zero.

windscale didn't kill anyone. 3MI didn't kill anyone. In fact the only people who HAVE definitely died from radiation poisoning or radiation induced cancer (IIRC) in a civil nuclear accident are the workers at Chernobyl.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Compare with the number killed, injured or "retired due to ill health" getting heated and compressed plant material out of the ground...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's all gone very quiet, there was supposed to have been proper annoucments and thing by or about now. As I understand it the cash for the RHI payments is government money rather than a levey on the power producers like FITs payments.

Don't forget wood pellet or log burner biomass boilers as well but not wood burning stoves that have a bolier.

Which seemes to me badly thought through again. I'm going to be installing a stove that can shove about 10kW to water, I reckon that that will be ample to heat the house until the weather gets consistently below 5C. Hopefully saving a considerable amount of fossil fuel. OK there will still be oil as automatic back up and use of the stove is manual (we have to light it rather than it coming on from a thermostat) but given a choice between burning say a =A370 dumpy bag of logs a month or =A370 of oil a *week*...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The effect on the Japanese economy would have been the same if the power staion had been coal or gas powered.

Reply to
charles

Not the same planet that you do, obviously, since none of the above has happened.

I calculate about 550 sq miles *evacuated* which is not the same thing, and was in any case largely a precautionary measure. Radioactive water will not have raised the radiation levels in the oceans significantly (it may be *measurable* but that's another story).

People like you can wet your knickers all you like about it, but I note with disgust how you seem to be concerned more about the meltdown than the more than 20,000 people killed by the tsunami.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The WHO did a report stating that 70-odd dies as a direct result of radiation at the time of the explosion (firefighters and so forth). Some

4000 extra thyroid cancers were predicted - most of which could have been avoided had the Soviet authorities not refused to distribute iodine tablets.

Industrial accidents have killed considerably more than nuclear, one way and another.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I would have thought it incumbent upon the operators of nuclear plants to ensure that adequate stocks of iodide tablets were available. So why did Japan have to rely on Soviet supplies?

It might also be a very different situation in Japan to, say, the areas around Chernobyl. The generally high iodine content of the Japanese coastal dwellers' diets might actual result in lower uptake of radioactive iodine. (And even if not lower, it might just be different.) But this is pure speculation on my part - I do not know.

Reply to
polygonum

I think you're confused here. We're talking about Chernobyl in the Soviet era mid-1980s. It wasn't incumbent upon the reactor authorities there to do much of anything, including not telling the arriving firemen about what they were dealing with. Keep iodine tablet supplies? Perish the thought - that would imply something might go wrong! This is the modern Communist State - nothing ever goes wrong! BY ORDER!

Reply to
Tim Streater

[Snip]

[Snip]

perhaps they were washed away by the sea?

Reply to
charles

And they'll recover .. this was a one in Christ knows how many event. And thus far a few deaths. Unfortunate but down in the noise from the main event there...

And the Jap economy will recover, its the UK one I'm more concerned about..

Reply to
tony sayer