OT (slightly) : Used 3 phase converters

But do tell us when you're advertising them ...

> >Dave

Well I have finally got some photos of the 3 phase converters.

There is also a beast of a step up transformer and apart from a switch, two other boxes that have no apparent identification. Any ideas?

I have put 3 photos and the specs from the name plates on to a web site. Apologies for my poor web site skills.

what do you think of them? Are they worth anything? They weigh a lot so even scrap must be something, thinking of all the copper there must be in the transformer etc.

Cheers Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:24:10 +0000, Kalico strung together this:

Hmm, look more like 3 phase transformers to me. Who actually said they were 3 phase converters, and does it say anything to this effect on them? The big switch is worthless, I've thrown better ones than that in the skip.

Reply to
Lurch

Well they were being used on a single phase supply to derive a 3 phase equivalent supply for a launderette.

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

I'd agree with you on this one Lurch. The picture is labelled "Static Phase Converter" but they look more like line suppressors or smoothers for 3 phase motors to me. The input and output details aren't right for a converter either.

Kalico, are you sure the label on the casings say "Static Phase Converter" or does it actually say Stator / Phase Inverter?

Reply to
BigWallop

Err! Well, not sure actually. But I am sure that there was a single phase coming into the building and to these boxes, then from these boxes to a 3 phase distribution board.

I'll have to check on that Stator thing, but from the layout/setup in the building I am certain that they provided 3 phases from the single phase coming in.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

The 8000 Watts (8 KVA) step up transformer would be enough to supply split loading to a 3 phase distribution board. Although the output is quite low at only 19 Amps. But that might be where the other things came in. If they are actually line smoothers or inverters, then they could have been used to stabilise a supply enough to run 4, or maybe 5 at a push, small 3 phase motors of around one horse power each. That's going by the output of 4000 Watts (4 KVA) each that the details say they have and allowing for the start up over current of the motors.

Just me thinking out loud really. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Hi,

Winder are still in around:

ask them if they do refurbished ones or know someone who does, that might give a lead to someone who will take them. They should at least know what they are from the pics :)

Most people would want them with a guarantee and backup I guess, but if you keep listing them on Ebay you might get lucky and sell them for a nominal sum:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

In article , Pete C writes