[OT] sheds, the B&Q type

Hi,

Places like Wickes and B&Q are often called "sheds" in here and I always thought that it was a derogatory term but was never sure why they deserved it. Now I am not so sure. I saw a job advert for someone (I don't know who, they were hiding behind an agency) who wanted someone who had previously worked for a "large shed retailer". So I am wondering whether "large shed" is some retail jargon?

The opening paragraph of:

about "large shed retail outlets" in France. Are sheds only DIY stores or is it any large store? Why are they called sheds. The only reason I could think off is because they have four walls and a roof but doesn't every building?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

I'd say two reasons:-

A shed as a building usually lacks any architectural values - simply a basic structure to keep things dry. ;-)

Sheds can contain just about anything.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The job didn't involve selling sheds then?

Shed has long meant a structure with a large span roof, such as the train shed at many large railway stations. OTOH, it might simply be due to them resembling large agricultural buildings.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Plus you couldn't call it a shop because the staff have little/no product knowledge.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Do you expect that in any self service outlet?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

the nature of the buildings they sell from

NT

Reply to
NT

There's usually someone older than the rest of the staff who knows more than they do but he tries to keep schtum because he's on minimum wage and buggrit if he's going to be the fount of all knowledge for the same pay as the button pushers on the tills.

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

I think it must be retail jargon for any shop with a large roof because another advert was talking about groceries, suggesting that supermarkets are also large shed retailers, and that it is not just DIY stores.

Reply to
Fred

But perhaps the most common shed is the common or garden garden variety. ;-)

And that has anything but a large span roof. I'd say that was more in the mind than an engine shed when using the term for a DIY store was conceived.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On the principle that it contains just about everything, but you can't find anything you want when you want it?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

No, thats why i would call the a shop.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Is that where the a team get their supplies?

"If you need a left-handed nadger grommet and don't who to turn to, maybe, just maybe, you can call the a shop"

-- Halmyre

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Sort of. I've always thought of shed being used as a derogatory term when referred to a DIY store.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe it's not so much the span of the roof, as that the whole of the interior is (generally) one space going all the way up to the roof - single story, no interior walls, no flat ceiling below roof level. (Or where there are interior walls e.g. for an office in a corner, they are generally effectively a smaller building within the large one, not an integral part of the main construction.)

Reply to
Alan Braggins

That is a fairly good description of a large span building :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The point is that it's _also_ a description of a "common or garden garden" shed even though that has what Dave described as "anything but a large span roof".

Reply to
Alan Braggins

,

Nadger grommets in BA not not metric presumably ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

perhaps its also a place where men go to keep out the way of spouses and offspring ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm