OT: Sharing Outlook between two computers

Use IMAP mail servers rather than POP3.

Reply to
Adrian C

Just to follow-up on my follow-up...

Can anyone direct me to a fairly concise and not-too-technical description of what Micro$oft Exchange does and how it does it please? Looks like I'm going down that route but I'd like to have a little education before I make a complete Horlicks of it. Descriptions I've seen so far really don't give too much away, especially Micro$oft's.

It is a reasonable multi-tasking mail server designed for X-400 mail systems (remember those) with an internet gateway bolted on the back.

In practice users dont 'own' their mail messages: they reside on the server, and clients make connection to that..the client being some form of MSMail program.

Personally I'd install a Linux IMAP server if I wanted to go that route.

I can, by some dexterous mapping of mail files, use Thunderbirds against the same server which stores all the messages but I have to remember to actually switch OFF the mail client on one machine before invoking it on another. But that's using a shared file system, not IMAP.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher