OT: Sharing Outlook between two computers

I need to share an Outlook data file between a desktop and a laptop to enable them both to access the same calendar and emails. There may be times when both computers need access at the same time.

Is this possible? If so, how.

Oh, and there's no point in saying Outlook is a pile of sh*te. It has to be Outlook...

Have a look at SynchPst for Outlook. That is what I use to solve that dilemma. If anyone has a neater way of doing this I would be interested in hearing it.

Reply to
Howard Neil

I dont beleive that you can share the same PST file between multiple instances of Outlook.

As Howard has mentioned, there are apps around that will enable you to sync PST files but thats not quite the same as sharing a single PST file.

I had a similar requirement a few years ago. The only way that I could solve it was to use MS Exchange. This might be overkill for your requirements.

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

I asked in essence the same question here a few months back - the replies might be helpful:

(or

...and no, I still haven't cracked it yet :( I'm trying to migrate from Outlook to Thunderbird for domestic email; IIRC someone said in that thread that trying to network Outlook as you're planning is not a good idea. (Hopefully I'll have time over Xmas to spend a bit of time trying to get it sorted).

David

Reply to
Lobster

AFAIK, the only supported way is to install Exchange and point both copies at the calendar and mailboxes on that. Exchange then takes care of who gets to write what and when. You will run into problems with database locks and conflicts otherwise. Outlook is intended to run only with an Exchange server, any program that synchronises two .pst files needs an exclusive lock on those files to prevent corruption, which would lock Outlook out. Strictly speaking, even running it with a POP3 mailbox isn't supported fully by MS (AFAIK).

I've not tried pointing two copies of Thunderbird at the same mail files, so I don't know whether it locks the whole database or just the record that it's writing to. I do known that the TB mailbox doesn't even have to be on the same computer or OS as the copy of TB that you're using. Linux TB works just as well with the data on a Windows machine and vice versa.

Reply to
John Williamson

As a sort of cheat, we leave a copy our mail on the server for seven days so that it can be collected by both the desktop and laptop but of course there is no duplication of sent items, we get round that by Bcc-ing mail sent from the lappy back to ourselves so we have a copy. Mail does of course have to be checked on both machines within 7 days.

At this risk of thread hijack, I wonder if there is a way of sharing or rather synchronising address books between multiple Outlook instances without using Exchange? I know you can dedicate storage of certain mail folders to different pst files but can you split off the address book to a different one and sync that?

Reply to
fred

office365, unfortunately not free though.

Reply to
Simon Wilson

I did describe using the same file in my OP but syncing would certainly be an option.

However, I've had a look at SynchPst but really couldn't get it to work.

That's strange as mine has worked faultlessly from day one. I can only suggest contacting the company involved for ideas. They are very helpful.

Reply to
Howard Neil

IMAP solves all these problems - I'm surprised anyone's still using POP3...

LDAP?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I need to share an Outlook data file between a desktop and a laptop to enable them both to access the same calendar and emails. There may be times when both computers need access at the same time.

Is this possible? If so, how.

Oh, and there's no point in saying Outlook is a pile of sh*te. It has to be Outlook...

According to the Billysoft support shyte.....

Nthkentman

Not sure what it gives me over POP3 (I have looked), we still have to decide when to wipe messages off the mail server to avoid quota issues.

Thanks for that.

First thought was, 'more words required' but a basic search shows the possibilities.

Yes, it is the 'big' solution but might be a bit big for us (time intensive to implement). First looks at LDAP show how to _access_ an LDAP address server but not how to set one up ;-). I will look at it in more depth however.

I think a sync solution might suit us better as I worry about single points of failure (internet down, mail server down, don't care, send your email from Tommy's machine, he's got a sync'd copy of the address book, I'll be in in a couple of days, get on with it).

I am also aware of the run over by bus scenario in that who will maintain this after me?

Reply to
fred

Folder support and single authoritative message store - but clients can cache some/all folders (thunderbird is configurable).

What's your quota? Unless you have *loads* of attachements or your ISP is mingy, I'm surprised if it's a problem???

OpenLDAP is a bitch from cold - but in a week or two I might be able to give a hint (I am learning the whole thing for work).

I note you may have some possibilities with OpenLDAP:

If your data is in a SQL database, you can front OpenLDAP directly onto this

- it's not very efficient but I probably doesn't have to be for your use.

You can also present LDIF (ldap dump files, ascii based) via OpenLDAP - which might be an interesting solution.

Or you can do a *usual* setup and stick a WebGUI or local GUI on the front. I have found a resonable WebGUI which I *may* use (if it allows me to manage account lockouts etc).

In your case you don't need all the bells - because you really just want a read-only LDAP server, with no login ("bind") required - this could be quite easy.

What's your current source of address book data?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks for the input Tim.

Separate MailSP rather than ISP, we have 1.2G but spread over loads of boxes, power users get 200 odd MB, general boxes make up the rest. Lot's of attachments passing back and forth so holding for 7 days adds up.

Contacts are just those stored in Outlook, imported from our original OE installations. It would be lovely to consolidate these and incorporate them into some kind of central storage but we always appear to have higher priority things to do.

Separately we have project specific contacts in Excel spreadsheets but they're not really for day to day mailing. I think we'll always maintain these separately as it's too tech intensive to do it any other way (a trainee can be entering/editing data into an Excel spreadsheet within minutes of bum on seat).

The main bugbear is user-1 making a new contact and having to take positive action to pass it to either their laptop or to user-2 so they can take over the contact if needs be. A secondary consideration is securing the data so that random-intern-3 can't take copies of our contacts for their own future use but we currently have a low tech solution to that particular problem.

Reply to
fred

Just going to one side - I wonder if it might be easier to start using Google Apps for Business (paid for).

get email with excellent SPAM filtering, contacts list (with group/folder support) and loads of storage including Google Drive.

Ok - you have to pay - 3.30 or somthing per user per month. But it might be a nearly zero effort.

The contacts list works excellently with Android phones and IIRC syncs OK with iPhones (etc for pads).

There's excellent IMAP and SMTP support too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not wishing to appear negative, but never, ever, ever.

We have no wish to get into bed with any organisation that fails to maintain a UK mail, email, telephone and fax presence for customer service or a presence UK legal document service.

Reply to
fred

My outfit has just signed up to Microsoft.edu email.

You see - it *can* be worse...

Reply to
Tim Watts

My sympathies.

Just different kinds of evil, data mining vs megalopneumonia.

Reply to
fred

I've tried that but got nowhere. Pity.

of Outlook.

PST files but thats not quite the same as sharing a single PST file.

it was to use MS Exchange. This might be overkill for your requirements.

My hosting is with 1and1 and they appear to have a (chargeable) option, similar to Micro$oft Exchange, that will do what I want.

Other than the SynchPst package which I can't get to work, it looks like the only route.