OT: Sea-going drive

Yesterday, as I was returning once again from booking the vehicle in for more attempts to get rid of a few more of the faults, I found myself unexpectedly on a one-way road along the sea front.

The wind was high, I had not realised that it was a spring tide and the road became awash.

So I had to drive through sea water about a foot deep in places.

I understand that my European Jeep Grand Cherokee has galvanised body, but plain steel exhaust, in contrast the US Cherokees with rotten bodies but stainless exhausts.

What's the best thing to do now? I have given it a hose pipe rinse, but the hoped for torrential rain stopped before I was up this morning.

Sell it is not an option

Reply to
Bill

Bill scribbled

You should have left it on the beach.

Reply to
Jonno

I wouldn't worry. The exhaust runs hot enough to keep it dry once you are out of the water, so it won't corrode then. Assuming it subsequently gets splashed with water in normal wet road use, the dried salt will gradually get washed off. If you have a convenient (fresh-water) ford that you can drive it through a couple of times, that will help.

Reply to
newshound

Won't be much different than being blasted by rock salt particles laid on roads in freezing conditions.

I think you are worrying too much.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I doubt its done much more damage than driving in all that salt they spread on roads when they think its going to freeze or snow myself. Think they deliberately make exhausts rust to keep the industry going..:-) Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff