OT : Right or Wrong?

I've just a little argument with my postie :-)

I should have recieved a parcel yesterday about dinnertime.

I asked him why this wasn't delivered yesterday explaining it was second class,his reply was second class is the day after?

I remember when I was a lad that second class was as I stated near dinner time after the first class post in the morning.

Am I right or has the RM just altered things?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I believe that RM no longer do two deliveries a day. So second class must be at least a day later than first class.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

I don't think second class was *ever* next day delivery, not even as a target. First class was target next day, second class target three days. That has been the case since the 'classes' were brought in, as far as I remember.

Second deliveries haven't been near dinner time for *many*, *many* years. Second delivery was immediately after first (our delivery office takes its last incoming vans by 1130, then sends the stuff out before it closes at 1330).

True parcels are differenrt again; RM standard parcels are *never* advertised as next day. For that you need ParcelForce 24, which is a separate company. Unless you go for RM Special Delivery, of course.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Certainly 2nd class hasn't meant next day since at least when I can first remember using the post, which would have been about 1985.

From their FAQ (no idea if the link will work)

What are the delivery times for Second Class mail? Usually within three working days after posting.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

And now that the Third Earl has pset his postie I reckon all his mail will be delayed by three days. :-)

Reply to
dcbwhaley

I think you are getting confused with second 'post'. There always used to be a first post early morning then a second post at about dinner time. Not sure if thats still the case but mine mostly turns up between 11am and 1pm

Chris

Reply to
chris 159

No, and I don't think you ever were. There used to be a "second post" but that was nothing to do with 1st/2nd class post.

No [1].

You may be confused by some parcels being delivered by van, rather than on the walk, and arriving later than the postie. This isn't, however, a second post as such, just the fact that the parcel was too heavy/bulky for the postie.

MBQ

[1] Well, they have altered the way they charge but that's not the issue here.
Reply to
manatbandq

I'm afraid to say I was correct in one aspect of the mail ie the post was delivered in two stages of the day...1st class in the morning 2nd class midday.

Mind you it was prolly before you're time.

Thanks all.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

And they moan about the young having poor command of the english language.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Way, way back in the late 1950's I used to bicycle into Brighton, on a SUNDAY afternoon, with my Dad's mail package. As long as it got to the main post office by 16:30 it would get to head office in London by first post 09:00 Monday.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

Second delivery was not specifically for second class mail, although the way sorting worked, it may often have ended up arriving then. The principle used was that first class post would be sorted first and, when that was complete, work would start on sorting the second class post. Which delivery either post arrived in depended upon the work load at the sorting office on a particular day. First class letters posted late the previous day often arrived by the second delivery and second class post could arrive in the first delivery, particularly if it had been in the system for a few days.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Fantastic! was there a first class stamp on it? ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

There was only one class of letter post in those days. The two tier system was introduced in the late 1960s.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar