OT: pencil & ears

Page 1 of 3
Was chatting with my wife earlier and remembered I still had the pencil behind my ear. This started a conversation which had a life of its own. Like how long after removing the said pencil do you still think it is there? I have been known to scratch behind the ear, just to check you understand, an hour later! Where do people with glasses keep their pencil? If you just started wearing glasses, do you still try to put pencil behind the ear. any others?

I`m getting worse with age - when I wander into the canteen in work I take my own plate and cutlery with me, and i`ve found myself going to put a fork behind my ear at times while my lunch is in the microwave...
Apart from that, i`ve put permanent marker pens there as well :-}
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:58:28 -0000, "simon beer"

I've been known to walk to school to get our little one with the pencil still lodged, as well as go up to the nearest shed for new bits, or put up a shelf and spend the next few hours painting only to be surprised at dislodging the pencil when I try to flick me hair out of the way - I've got rather a lot of it :). Could still be novelty factor though, since I've only been specs-less since being lasered 2 years ago....beforehand it was v.difficult to stick a pencil alongside the spec leg. -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

Bragging?
Mary
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 20:52:42 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

Natch :) Most people I know my age are either bald or grey and I haven't even hit 40 yet! -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

Somebody just has to invent a little rubber or foam doo-dad that clips to a spectacle arm and has a vee in it, and you push your pencil in that. Important people would have one on each arm, so left and right handed versions might be needed. The deluxe model would have an Anglepoise type mechanism so you can position your pencil at the preferred distance and angle from the head. And then there'd be bolt-on accessories like hazard warning lights, spotlights, tissue holders, large clip-on frogs (to scare flies away), mini fans for hot weather and blowing dust out of the way, and a water spray for fire fighting the moment you make it happen.The possibilities are endless.
I think we just started a whole new industry.
W.
message

Thanks, I needed an idea ... must keep Spouse occupied.
Mary

message

Spotlights are already available - a glassless frame, with a forward pointing light at each side and a small battery in each arm. They can be worn with spectacles, which, as you no longer need to hold a small Maglite in them, leaves your teeth free to hold the pencil. However, as you are probably working at night, one of the pens with a built-in LED around the tip might be more useful.
Colin Bignell
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:58:28 -0000, "simon beer"

Behind the ear.
I think I must have about 20 pencils in a secret place in my garage. Either that, or the people who used to nick garden gnomes have started a campaign on hijacking pencils.....
PoP

You have room for garden gnomes in your garage????
Mary

The same thing happens with steel tape measures, even if they are bright yellow.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

And scissors - for those of the female variety.
Mary

obligatory geek glasses; but fitting scissors and tape measures behind the ears would need gobs of blutac (or superglue for a one-off install). Ha! Gottit! Shave hair in above/behind ear area, superglue velcro loop to scalp; then vital workshop accessories - scissors, knives, tapes, mugs of steaming hot tea - can be fitted with velcro hook pads and so kept to hand.
Gawd, inventiveness at its best. I feel a patent application coming on ;-)

A friend once came to see me, I could hardly recognise him because he was dressed in a suit. I've no idea where he got it from, as far as I know he'd never worn one before and hasn't done since. He'd taken his invention to the patent office.
The suit didn't work ...
Motto - no idea!
Mary
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:39:26 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

Which reminds me of......
20 odd years ago when I maintained on-site compooters my main client was a rather large oil refinery down near Southampton. I used to spend 5 days a week there fixing equipment on occasion. Knew my main contact well from meeting him frequently and all that.
My wife and I were walking down a crowded Southampton high street one weekend. A chap approached from the other direction and just as he was going past I remembered he was my main contact at the refinery.
The brain didn't kick into gear until late because when he was on-site he was always very smartly dressed, nice suit and all that. And that day in the high street he was dressed down.
Made me realise that you get to know people in a certain surrounding and if they appear somewhere else they can almost be non-descript.
PoP

I was in Ikea with a mate, and he managed to have two pencils, one behind each ear
Hi didn't realise until I started laughing at him!

Were they the free ones Ikea provides? Where did he have the tape measures?
Mary

One was a free Ikea one, and the other was actually a pen :)
I had the tape measure in my hand as it happens :)
On another note, I was bust putting up a CCTV camera at said mates house the other day - I ended up with a 8mm masonry drill bit behind one ear at one point!
Sparks...

Is the size important?
Mary

suprised it stayed there!