[OT] Paper bags carbon footprint too high

They are NOT biodegradable (in any real sense) - they merely turn to mush.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Pretty sure these bags didn't. They just became very friable and fell apart in small pieces. Think they were Tesco ones.

A quick google show that Tesco dropped them several years ago.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+
8<

You can't trust researchers that state..

"No evidence was found that the fragments cause harm, ?but neither was there evidence that they do not?, the authors added."

The fact they can't find evidence of harm is evidence that they don't do harm.

Reply to
dennis

I thought that poop hanging trick was done as a form of protest?

Reply to
pamela

I also had exactly that happen with some Tesco plastic carrier bags in our loft.

Reply to
pamela

Two theories on this one.

1). They fling it in a fully leaved hedge and it happens to catch on a branch.
2). They hang it somewhere intending to pick it up on the way back and forget or go a different way.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

I thought it was more of:

3). "If you are going to force me to pick up my dog's poop then I will make you suffer seeing it on display".
Reply to
pamela

Oh come Den, as one who claims to be an alumnus of Imperial's Physics Dept, you should know that absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What would they be protesting about or against?

Reply to
Tim Streater

= being required to pick up their dog's poop.

Reply to
pamela

Do you know the difference between evidence and proof?

Reply to
dennis

There are few things worse than a rubber glove that disintegrates at the wrong moment. In terms of instinctive horror I'd say it's worse than when a rubber johnnie does the same thing. At least when that happens it's nine months before you get covered in shit.

Apologies pamela. I realise that the above is not suitable for a refined lady such as yourself.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

3). They pick it up because someone has seen dog crapping and discard it when out of sight

AJH

Reply to
news

Proof relates to courts of law and not science. Science is never "proved" nor is it "settled".

Reply to
Tim Streater

You are only required to scoop where the law requires. This does not normally extend to rural public rights of way.

Also, in the vernacular, dogs shit on the way out from home not on the way back.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yep, modern lightweight supermarket carrier bags disintegrate in a year or two in a loft, note use of word "disintegrate" rather than "biodegrade".

We sometimes come across supermarket bags from the the 70's/80's, good as new and get reused. We know they aren't going to disintegrate anytime soon...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's the sort of thing I meant.

Reply to
pamela

In message , Vir Campestris writes

Yes, I have done that, but usually just carry the bag until I reach a bin. I really cannot see the point of hanging the thing somewhere, then just leaving it there.

Reply to
News

When walking a freind's dog I have no problem with bagging its shit and disposing of it in the appropriate provided bins (or taking it home).

What I do object to is those who have cats in their homes and not made equally responsible for the cat shit in neighbours gardens.

Reply to
alan_m

The biggest litter problem I have is the type of light weight plastic used to wrap cigarette packets and sweets blowing in from the street and catching on all the plants I have in my front garden.

Reply to
alan_m