OT New type of rechargable battery

Doesn't mention cars, but I don't see why not.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Aluminium in its reactive form isn't quite as benign as you might think (although it isn't so inclined to spontaneous combustion).

I suspect these batteries will not be welcome on airlines since the aluminium airframe will not enjoy contact with any electrolyte leaks.

Appears to be a graphite/graphene & aluminium foil construction from what little information is not behind Nature's paywall.

Aluminium is a common enough element that we will not run out.

They don't say what the energy density is either in kJ/kg or kJ/m^3. They do say it will last 100-1000 recharge cycles which is novel for aluminium based batteries.

Reply to
Martin Brown

??? It actually says this:

"But the Stanford battery was able to withstand more than 7,500 cycles without any loss of capacity. "This was the first time an ultra-fast aluminum-ion battery was constructed with stability over thousands of cycles," the authors wrote.

By comparison, a typical lithium-ion battery lasts about 1,000 cycles."

Reply to
nemo

Hang an - aluminium's been done before hasn't it - in the 80s?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I was intrigued by the recharge rate (for mobile phone use anyway). A 30 second recharge rate for any sort of significant capacity battery will surely imply a fairly significant current. Will standard USB leads be up to it?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well, a 2AH battery from flat in 30 seconds would only need 240A, so a pair of jump leads should do :-)

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Bit like the claims for LED life? ;-)

Lots of these sort of things may well work in the lab. It's if they can be put into production that matters. A big if.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It tends to suggest that the battery capacity is closed to 200mAh...(or less). In a sense you might not mind too much if the thing can recharge in a minute or two. The connectors will be interesting.

Unclear how the waste heat from fast charging gets dissipated too.

They need to sort their story out about capacity as a function of number of recharges too. As a general rule fast charging kills good batteries relatively quickly unless *VERY* well controlled.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Because they aren't big enough for cars.

Reply to
290jkl

On a side note, I am really amazed that airlines let you put Li batteries in hold luggage given that once in a blue moon they do go up in smoke spontaneously.

In that respect a safer format would be very welcome.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Just what size do you think the individual cells in something like a Tesla are?

18.5mm × 65.3mm, something close to this:

There might even be something similar in Harry's semi mobile roadblock

Reply to
The Other Mike

But do wonder just how common this is?

But is anything 100% safe?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which is odd since the guy talking about his own battery mentions between a few hundred and a couple of thousand as a typical lifetime. Methinks the PR department have exaggerated its charge cycle robustness by an order of magnitude or two.

Anything carrying the chemical (or mechanical) energy density implied by a decent laptop battery is potentially dangerous if shorted out.

It is only safer in the sense that the aluminium is not intrinsically pyrophoric (whereas lithium is borderline). I suspect the electrolyte in an aluminium battery will be seriously bad for aerospace alloys.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Seemed related to an electrolytic capacitor to me. No mention of charge hold time.

Reply to
Capitol

Whn I order even the small lipos

*PLEASE NOTE* - This item can no longer be shipped using standard mail. Roy al Mail will now destroy all parcels containing LiPo Batteries* *You must select Courier (DPD Services) shipping at checkout if this item i s in your basket. If standard mail/Royal Mail/or Royal Mail Special Delive ry is chosen we will not ship this item and the order will be held for manu al review- potentially delaying your order*
Reply to
whisky-dave

No - but Li cells are pretty nasty once they do go up.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not all of them. Delta say that spare batteries should be carry-on baggage. I think I read this in a bored moment after I had checked my bags in.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I recall a demonstration of burning aluminium in pure Oxygen. Introduced with the comment that someone else had killed some of his audience.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Aluminium oxidises rapidly and potentially violently. The bulk metal is mostly protected by an oxide film that prevents further oxidation, but the powder can be pyrophoric unless stabilised. Ammonal is a well known explosive made from ammonium nitrate (the oxidiser) and aluminium powder. Thermite is a mixture of aluminium powder and iron oxide, used for in-situ welding of rail track AIUI.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes, nothing is safe.

Reply to