OT - Marks on induction hob

Have had an induction hob for a few weeks and really pleased with it. Tonight used a new frying pan - bought because it was compatible with induction - and immediately the oil started smoking in two places. Moved it off quickly but it seems to have marked the hob. The glossy glass surface appears slightly roughened.

Manufacturers instructions for cleaning are just wipe with hot water but this isn't shifting them. Any ideas? Thought about gently scraping with a Stanley knife blade but don't want to make it worse.

I know this may be a bit OT but probably more knowledge on this group than many others.

Reply to
Bald eagle

That works for me - new blade, gripped in a pair of pliers, slices away all the crud easily.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Also try some ceramic hob cleaner, hob brite paper towel and some elbow grease.

Reply to
James Salisbury

If mine, I would complain to the shop where I bought the hob, the surface should be heat resistant.

Reply to
OG

Best thing I've found (glass halogen & ceramic, haven't tried induction) is a metal bladed scraper sold by Partsmaster at a couple of quid for two, maybe made/sold/approved by Creda themselves (AFAIR). I bought it as a gimmick when ordering washing machine spares, but it's just the job for this scraping. It's like a Stanley blade, only thinner and more flexible, springy stainless steel with no sharp edge other than a square, held in a little plastic gadget. You could make your own with a bit of thin metal.

OTOH, the washing machine seal was cracked and Partsmaster are being useless at refunding it. 8-(

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Our induction hob was supplied with a cleaning tool which is essentially a Stanley blade in a plastic holder. Another vote for Hob Brite here as well :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Or the slightly more technical version :-)

for getting stuff off windows, work a treat.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks everyone for replies - will try the Stanley blade very gently later. Having had a chance to look more closely though I'm not sure that the marks are actually on the hob. They seem to be under the glass, which is odd and if I'm right will not be reversible. Will post what happens.

JC

Reply to
Bald eagle

I find 'Astonish' cleans anything like that. You can buy it in Poundland type shops and Lakeland or online:

what I can make out it is mostly silica flour and soap/detergent. It works well as I have been using it recently.

mark

Reply to
mark

AFAIR, Homecare Hob Brite will clear marks which "appear to be under the glass" - agree with earlier poster about the elbow grease

FWIW my halogen hob responds well on a day-to-day basis to glass wipes - 80 pack from Poundland

Reply to
Dirk

On a slight side note. Can I ask how did you install the induction hob? Where did you connect it to for power?

Reply to
Slider

Dedicated supply from the consumer unit to a cooker switch (30 amp?) and thence to hob.

Reply to
Bald eagle

Just used a brand new frying pan (suitable for all hobs)- dry fried - on my induction hob for the first time and it has left marks on the hob. Not sure what to do ..... check ith manufacturer of hob &/or frying pan? Please help!!!

Reply to
Renovations

I use CIF and an old Golden Golly pan cleaner

Reply to
Michael Chare

If it's just something burnt onto the hob, hob-brite is pretty good at shifting it. If it's actually damaged the surface of the hob, take it up with the manufacturer of the pan which claimed to be induction-compatible - and ask to be compensated for the hob damage.

Reply to
Roger Mills