OT(ish) Mystery Object

Emptying an old shed this weekend (that's the DIY bit) and found this odd little item. Our current theory is that it may be plumbing related, I think it may be to do with lead work. Any ideas guys?

johno

It's iron if it was used for bashing lead sheet I'd expect to see traces of lead left behind. Lead beaters tend to be wooden.

The other half said it's a golf club head, shaft through the hole in the stem or possibly along the stem. I don't quite see it being a gold club head though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Rather than being a handle, the pointy-end looked to me like it was more for poking somewhere the sun don't shine to pour in the contents of the ladle-end.

Reply to
Andy Burns

where there are more people to enjoy guessing what it is, and likely some that know exactly what it is.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

bottom),

What a great place! Just spent a few hours trolling through the archives, seriously geeky stuff.

Thank you Thomas

Reply to
johno

Reply to
Ret.

Oooooer Matron! I think we can safely discount that one Andy, as the 'handle' is not hollow. :-)

Reply to
johno

oh?

That is interesting as it looks like a ladle with traps for something.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How about one half of a former garlic press?

Reply to
Martin Brown

Go look at Nr. 2057, set 357, October 7, 2010.

You know you /need/ one...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Hmm, not sure were I would use it, but yes, what a great bit of kit!

Reply to
johno

Yes its a data file.

Well someone had to say it.. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Groan, surprised Angle Grinders have not been mentioned ;-)

Reply to
johno

Hmm, interesting theory. Only thing is there is no pouring lip or spout. Just tried filling it with small fishing weights and filling a small tube, the little sods went everywhere!! Not totally convinced of that one Harry, but it's the best suggestion so far.

Reply to
johno

Do us another JPG Johno!

John

Reply to
Another John

the bowl was originally filled with, say, a leather covered pad...

Reply to
Ret.

Exactly my thought! Or a handle with said pad; I've been trying to think what might have had such a handle.

John

Reply to
Another John

OK, so have taken another few piccies, this time of the riveted repair. Can see the logic of the pedal, but why would you repair said pedal with two very small rivets? My thinking is still along the plumbing line and that the object may have held liquid, hence the need to fill holes.

johno

The rivets suggest it was being hit at that point while in use. I'd first thought it was some blacksmith's tool, that would be stuck into a hole in an anvil or workbench. No idea really.

Reply to
Onetap

Well that's the closest anyone has come to the answer! According to Rob, from it is a leather-workers tool called a collar palm.

I have pasted his reply in full below.

'Your item is a collar palm, similar to a sail maker's palm or sailors' sewing palm, they are all used to press the needle when sewing heavy material such as leather or sail cloth. Presumably the collar palm was used when making a horse collar. Thanks for sending the photos.'

Rob

Thanks to all who replied to the original post

Mystery solved!

Johno

Reply to
johno