OT: Ideas for house name sign....

Hi all,

here's something different for you creative types on the group! My house is called 'Frosty Yard', and I'm looking for ideas for a sign to hang over the entrance pergola. i don't want a traditional wood or slate sign simply saying 'Frosty Yard', I'd would like something...different! Not OTT but something unique and possibly something reflecting the coldness in the name. Any ideas?

cheers!

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

A picture of David Jason beside a spinning sign that says Scotland Yard .

Reply to
Stuart B

Translucent or "cut"-effect glass or plastic cut in a snowflake shape, with the wording in "Frosty" font.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Cut out a giant snowflake of a suitable weatherproof material, and mark the name on a couple of the 'arms' of the snowflake.

On a standard piece of signboard, paint the name, having the letters look like icicles.

Cut out and shape 3-D letters to look like icicles, paint them sparkly white, and mount them to a board.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Paint it on an old chest freezer and chuck it on the lawn.

Reply to
dennis

A piece of clear perspex with the name machined into the face of it, along with a couple of snow flakes or icicles maybe, and an effigy of a Bank Manager [for these are the coldest hearted images I can think of]. Install in a weatherproof enclosure along the top edge complete with fluorescent or LEDs to provide edge illumination.

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

I saw the most amazing ironwork done by a craftsman in I think Kent or Sussex at one of the country shows.

Some was laser cut, some plasma cut. Pub signs and house signs..delicate silhouette pictures.

Ive lost the website but try a google on blacksmiths etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Use the "y" from Frosty to start the word yard. Have "Yard" set down about half the character height from the first word (so that the base line matches the bottom of the descender of the "y"). Make the background of the sign white at the top with a colour gradient to a slightly blue tone at the bottom. Experiment with the amount of colour to get a cool impression. Have the writing slightly darker, but with the same colour gradient. The letters should be raised off the background of the sign - cut them out with a jigsaw then glue them onto the back panel. You can put my accreditation on the back :-)

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

The message from "R.P.McMurphy" contains these words:

An aleyard with icicles?

Reply to
Guy King

Get a 36in long strip of wood and make lots of markings on it. Put wooden letters on the top edge spelling the name. Put imitation icicles along the bottom edge.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Influenced by what tools I have access to, here's what I'd do.

Etched glass over plasma-cut steel.

At the top is a rough steel rectangle/triangle which is wider than it's long. The horizonal top edge has steel letters (plasma cut) raised above it. The lower edge is a ragged saw-tooth. The whole piece is oil-blackened.

The lower edges are hidden behind glass, more than one piece and possibly multiple thicknesses overlaid. The top edges are clear and overlap the steel, the lower edges are also sawtoothed pendants but are more rounded and are sandblaster-etched to resemble icicles.

Alternatively, cut a big hole in the steel, place glass over it and etch the letters in.

At night you can edge light it, which will illuminate the etched icicles. Ikea's cheap LED light strips work fine for this and you can pot them in silicone (although use electronics grade acid-free silicone).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A 3 foot icicle ??

Reply to
Jim

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! You are a creative bunch! I'm looking for a more traditional look rather than anything illuminated or modern looking. the house is dated 1821 and is very rural, so something in keeping would be great. Andy, i cant quite picture idea...can you knock up a sketch and post it?

cheers for everyones help..keep the ideas coming!

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

Is it worth all the hassle . Can you not make do with a number .?

Reply to
Stuart B

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

Or a yard of american lager, refrigerated.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The message from Ian Stirling contains these words:

Or perhaps an exceedingly well endowed snowman?

Reply to
Guy King