OT; I'd love to know the story...

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth" saying something like:

Bomb damage, and it seemed like a good idea to leave the end wall up for the reason you suggest.

Again, bomb damage.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Stairways to ..

Reply to
Adrian C

Is Old Town your old stamping ground as a child?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not exactly, we lived on Kensington Road, but I passed through daily on my way to school. I have just discovered in the 1911 census a great uncle I never knew of, living on School Street.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The middle highest part of the wall has a chimney, so may have been an end wall of some sort of building originally

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

There was no evidence of it to be seen. AFAIK it was done to prevent the adjacent house claiming "ancient lights" rights which would have prevented developing the empt plot.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The "chimney" may be steel to reinforce what looks to be a weak structure.

Reply to
F Murtz