OT: Gas tumble driers

Has anyone got a gas drier? Are they better than electric? And much more economic?

The obvious advantage of the electric is that it just needs a plug.

Thoughts appreciated,

Cheers, Rick

Reply to
R D S

I have 24 of them ! They are 95,000 bthu's EACH ! - much cheaper to run than electric but by no means cheap !!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 18:58:57 +0100 someone who may be "R D S" wrote this:-

I don't have any sort of tumble drier, but I know people who do.

They can be more rapid in operation, due to higher heat input. They are much cheaper to run and that will soon outweigh the small extra purchase cost.

Indeed. However, tumble driers in laundries are gas fired for a reason. Gas tumble driers have never taken off in domestic settings due to the need for a gas and electric supply.

Reply to
David Hansen

It will be going in the bathroom, under the boiler, so a gas pipe is nearby.

Would anyone care to recommend a good model?

Cheers.

Reply to
R D S

Are domestic gas tumble dryers open flued? Because AIUI no open flued appliance is allowed in bathrooms.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We have a whirlpool one - it's great. It's a larger 'american' style one, and can dry 2 complete loads of washing in an hour. We had the LGR5437, which was basic in terms of functions, but reliable and efficient. Have just replaced it with a AWZ481G (after the previous one was caught in a flood), but it's too early to comment on that, except to say that it came from Poolewood machinery - sells slight seconds on ebay

Andrew

Reply to
auctions

A gas tumble dryer in the bathroom? Forget it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

OK. Where can they go? Kitchen? Or does it have to be a util room?

Reply to
R D S

I believe there is only one make for domestic units (White Knight?)!

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Subject to ventilation, AIUI any room except a bathroom[1] but IANEdSirett. Open flued appliances banned after too many people fell asleep in the bath from CO poisoning.

Owain

[1] I *really* wouldn't recommend a bedroom either.
Reply to
Owain

I haven't got the domestic Laundry qualifications (that's my excuse). The flues are powered I believe so may be acceptable to use when a conventional open flue might not.

Why not try to download the instructions and read them?

Reply to
Ed Sirett