OT - Fascinating Question !!

In message , Tim Watts writes

Don't even think about it

after Yullie accidentally trying some last year,I can confirm there is better cuisine out there

Reply to
geoff

Not quite the same sort of 'custard' though ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Yep ! That's how we serve 'em ! Most of our customers like them hit with 30 secs of microwave as well, to give them that 'just out of the oven' feel, which of course they are every morning, if you get in our caff early enough :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Oh yes. Butter is essential. And it must be butter. None of this pretend axle grease s**te ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Yes, but not strawberry flavour ...

Reply to
Huge

Good point. Very good point.

Reply to
Huge

Huge wibbled on Tuesday 03 August 2010 08:46

Oh...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Why not sausage rolls?

Reply to
F Murtz

In article , Dave writes

I think I've come across some that needed an angle grinder or SDS to cut them, and if I made them they would probably taste like car body filler (and I don't even have any), pressure washer to clean the backing tray with afterwards (I'll let someone else work out what you use the WD40 for).

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Nice reply :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , Adrian Simpson writes

Yes sir, me sir, I know the answer to that one

you can use it as a flame thrower to kill wasps with

Reply to
geoff

I thought you liked wasps.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Luv 'em - just don't want them to get cold in winter

Reply to
geoff

Just to chuck a slightly new line of reasoning in ...

I asked the missus what she thought about this custard and scones thing, as she makes and sells them every day in our caff. She reckons that it's a perfectly valid combination. When I queried her as to why she thought this, she said that you wouldn't think twice about having custard on a peach cobbler, and the 'cake-y' bit of that is just a scone mix ...

Fair point I s'pose ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Bishop's Palace, Wells.

Worth every penny of the admission charge, and the best cream tea with scones I've ever had.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not *quite* but basically ordinary custard thickened with cornflour (creme patisserie).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And of course is it said scone to rhyme with "bone", or scone to rhyme with "gone"? My money's on the first...and as for cream/jam, it's cream first, then jam. Mmm cream teas...

Reply to
Lino expert

In my house, 'scone' rhymes (more or less) with 'gone'. Unless it's a Proper Name, when it rhymes with 'Goon'.

And I surveyed the family - all of us insist on jam first, then cream...

Reply to
S Viemeister

AKA 'confectioners custard'.

However ordinary custard IS just cornflour and milk, plus a bit of dried egg yolk, colouring and a hint of vanilla.

Proper home made custard is fresh eggs, *cream*, cornflour and real vanilla.

Confectioners custard is that but using *ordinary* flour, milk, and highly beaten eggs.

'Egg custard' is that minus the flour. I.e. sweet flavoured scrambled eggs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Same here.

Reply to