OT - because it's not D-I-Y - Repairing cast iron guttering

Or ...........

Is it feasible to put a plastic system inside the cast iron one, which would leave you with the visible cast iron guttering with the water sound plastic sleeve inside?

Reply to
raden

It's extruded, with diecast fittings and hoppers.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , Set Square writes

You mean ... HWMBO?

Reply to
raden

What's the real difference between extruded and drawn?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I was deferring to him :-)

Back to Spouse now ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

When we were being 'prepared for marriage' (sounds like sanding and making good doesn't it!) the Rev Idwal Jenkins, although an old man (he baptised me) was a Modern Thinker and he wouldn't allow me to say "obey". In those days I did as I was told.

I can't remember what I DID say ... :-(

45 years next March.

I just asked him. He can't remember either ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks for all the suggestions. Having counted out the possibility of welding the old cast iron gutter and the probable expense of getting it reliably repaired, I think I'll be inclined to copy the next house in the terrace (mine's end of terrace) and use black plastic. It's cheap, itr works, and I intend to sell the house very soon, so I'm not too worried about longevity.

Does anyone have any idea what it would cost to get a typical 3-bed end-of-terrace house fitted? (Althought its only a two-storey house, the guttering is higher than usual because the house is on the side of a hill. Whee the road is lowest, the gutteing is about 5 feet higher up than the rest of the house. I think I'll need ti employ a company that has one of those mobile hydraulic lift things (like the street lamp repairers use) Otherwise they'll need to put saffolding up, which costs a lot, I gather.

McM PS, Yes, I was joking about the pink and green candy stripes.. Metallic purple and pearlescent flames is more my cup of tea. ;-)

Reply to
McB

Extrusions are done hot, from a melt. Drawn is done from sheet - either with a press (cups and bowls) or a roller (continuous channels).

Most aluminium guttering is drawn, but this is for the thin stuff. Often (particularly in the USA) it's done from the back of a van, where there's a roll of flat strip and a little rolling mill to form it. The "cast iron repro" stuff that I've seen was thicker, and extruded. There's a huge aluminium extrusion industry out there; door & window frames etc.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Of course, but it's not a difference anyone would notice. The final effect is the same to all intents and purposes.

That's exactly what ours was. There was no question of its being cast iron repro - but I maintain that unless you get up there and look most people would be hard put to see a difference.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Now that I LIKE!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Have you looked for a building salvage yard ? we needed 1930's ridge tiles for our extension to match the existing ones ( one of the requirements on the plans ) and got them very cheap at a yard in Stockport.

Reply to
Pete Cross

Hi,

It may be possible to rebolt and resecure the old guttering and waterproof the joins in situ with fibre reinforced roofing compound.

If the old guttering is being removed and is in good nick, put it away somewhere and if someone wants to restore it later on they will be able to do so.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C