OT Bandwidth to stream audio show - isp

I've been trying to find out which (if any) isp is better to sign up for to enable streaming audio. A few chaps here (not me) want to run a weekly radio show. The www articles explain the bandwidth factor

but how does this relate to isp up/down rates. Eg VMedia isp here shows up as 56Mbps download but only 3Mbps upload.

Would such a slow upload be usable for streaming an audio channel? Thanks

Reply to
dave

A weekly show would be better done as a podcast? That would then be able to be hosted somewhere probably for free like soundcloud.

First link on a idle google

Adrian Caspersz

Surely, you cannot do this as every person who logs in needs their own stream. The stream provider you get to do it will no doubt tell you what the speed is needed for a given quality if you stream live. If however you are happy just uploading things then its not critical. I do hope you tackle any copyright or otherlegal issues or they will be down on you like a 10 ton weight within a week. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well as I said, it's not for me - but I'll pass on the info. I know they are aware of copyright issues and plan only their own material - it's the tech aspects they (and me) don't get, ref OP.

Reply to
dave

If you're streaming it yourself, you could end-up sending an individual copy to each subscriber, and that would soon overwhelm a broadband connection. Surely the way to do it is (a) if it's live use a provider where you stream one copy to them and they have the bandwidth to stream to everyone at once or (b) if it's not live use a podcast which can be hosted in a datacentre.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Also consider p2p distribution if payment isn't required.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In article , dave scribeth thus

In our local community radio station we sub that out to a streaming provider where we send the audio signal to them and they distribute it to the masses...

Reply to
tony sayer