OT 70's TV Show

Just had the theme song of a 70's tv cop series running through my head.

The voice of Tony Christie.

'In the avenues and alley ways, where the soul of a man is easy to buy. Chorus.. can we ever stop 'em? Some of us are gonna try..

What was the name of the tv series? and who was the star?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

The Protectors from waaaay back in 1972, staring Robert Vaughn as Harry Rule, Nyree Dawn Porter as some Italian bint and someone rather forgetable as Paul (some French sounding name). Interestingly enough, it was a Gerry Anderson production, the Gerry Anderson of Thunderbirds fame. Seem to remember it as being pretty naff though, apart from the theme song.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

The Protectors.

Robert Vaughan, Nyree Dawn Porter, Tony Anholt

Sound about right?

Reply to
Gary Cavie

The Protectors used this as their theme. I have the best of Tony Christie CD here, and it says it on the literature booklet inside. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

The Pretenders ?

Posh British woman with hyphenated name and some Italian-looking guy. Tony ? Ronert Vaughn also appeared quite regularly I think.

And a sillouette of somebody you never saw.

Reply to
Mike

Nope - Protectors as everybody else has now pointed out.

Reply to
Mike

The Protectors, Robert Vaughn, Nyree Dawn Porter and Tony Anholt?

Reply to
Peter Parry

In message , Mike wrote

Only a few miles out - she was from New Zealand.

Reply to
Alan

The Contessa di Contini ... had that name running through my head today as I'd just read about some Contessa in a book...

Paul Buchet. Actually, not that forgettable - Tony Anholt, who was less forgettable in that UNforgettable series - Howard's Way! (he was Charles Frere).

Interestingly enough, it

Sylvia Anderson was one of the writers.

A hell of a lot of "names" guested in it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Tune here:

of background about half way down this page:

if you are 25 or older, and prone to nostalgia, be very wary of visiting the
site - you can be gone for days! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

If anyone mentions Bobby Bennet and Glynn Poole of Junior Showtime infamy, they are going to DIE!

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

You buy those sorts of CDs? My, oh, my!

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Me and my boyhood buddy used to babysit for neighbours and on saturday or friday evening there was a tv serial set in ye olde England..you know heaving busoms and such. The stories were always or seemed to be to my unknowledgable noggin, bawdy farces where some old rogue has his salacious way with a comely maiden. The acting was generally of the Robert Newton style; I seem to remember.

My! how we guffawed!

Anyone remember the title?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

Still a British colony back then :-)

Reply to
Mike

Valiant Varnies ?

Reply to
Mike

I think it just came to me.

"Rogue's Gallery"..maybe?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

Who was in it ?

Reply to
Mike

I don't remember, although I probably never looked at anything above heaving bosom level. :)

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur