ARWadsworth

In message , sweetheart writes

Where did you get that gem from ?

could you quote a law which says so?

Not winter tyres, are they ?

the rubber is a different composition

Reply to
geoff

There is nothing inherently dangerous in left foot braking providing that those who practice it don't drive manual cars. Indeed it has much to commend it as it divides the work for the legs between left and right. Since you suffer from dyspraxia you might not appreciate that normal folk have no trouble coordinating the actions of two limbs.

The automatic test was introduced because the powers that be were concerned that far too many drivers of limited talent were taking tests in automatics before becoming mobile menaces in manual cars. Not something they really thought through as allowing those who have to take dozens of tests to get a full licence allows an even more dangerous class of driver onto our roads.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

In message , sweetheart writes

So, given your argument above why bother with a much more expensive vehicle

Reply to
geoff

Not adequate heating IIRC

Reply to
geoff

Oh do me a favour. I have never said anything like that. I said my OH has an obsession with heating ( or not) the house and believes we cannot afford it. Thats not the same as not being able to afford it.

As for other fictions. Well why do I need to defend myself to you? I lost an aunt and a sister recently. I dont need you to make light of that.

Thanks to all those who have offered suggestions. I will go and take a look at the various cars in the next few weeks.

Reply to
sweetheart

The word "duckwit" comes to mind.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Esp. with all that snow they get in the Nullabor ...

Reply to
Gib Bogle

What a load of c*ck. You start your posts by setting up exactly what you do not want to be mentioned, give half stories and talk a load of s**te.

I never mentioned them.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It would fail you your test in an automatic, surely that is enough to tell you there is something wrong with the practice? The problem is that you could easily end up trying to brake and accelarate at the same time. In a manual you move your foot from accelerator to brake dont you? Well you do the same in an automatic , for the same reasons.

Your clutch foot has a proper rest in any decent automatic to remind you that is where it stays. You do not use your clutch foot to brake. If you cant do that then you need to sit on your left foot until you brake the habit of trying to use it.

Thanks for that - so you subscribe to the school that those who drive automatics are less capable obviously. I had you down for more intelligent than that. I must have made a mistake.

Thanks for the other suggestions anyway. I will go looking now.

PS - you know some people take tests in automatics because they have such cars. I have an old college friend who drives a Rolls Royce - made money before he learned to drive and Rolls Royce only come as automatics. In fact most good top of the range cars are automatic transmissions ( but you don't need me to tell you that do you?). I think that says it all really. Only the poorer unwashed masses have to drive manuals ;-)

Reply to
sweetheart

I have answered this. I need to change a car anyway and I just thought a 4WD would offer more options and flexability in poor weather as well as giving my husband a good run around.

Reply to
sweetheart

You mentioned other posts I had made elsewhere I took it you meant the ones I made about my recent berevements. Thoise are the only ones I have made in other newsgroups. True you didnt mention them but what else was there ?

Reply to
sweetheart

That reads like a series of non sequiturs interspersed with nonsense.

Governs the engine, what on earth do you mean? In a manual car there is a fixed relationship between engine speed and wheel speed in any gear. It could easily be argued that autos not having such a relationship is a disadvantage in snow. If you mean that your auto locks the torque converter for snow why not say so. It is the torque converter that generally allows autos to get away with less gears than a manual.

Overheating at low revs doesn't seem credible even in summer.

There are real reasons why low gears and slippery conditions are a bad thing. The lower the gear the more torque to the wheels and, within reason, the higher the revs the more torque as well. Driving in snow is a matter of transmitting as little power to the wheels as possible that is consistent with maintaining forward motion. Once the wheels start to spin you have lost most of your tractive force. Wildly spinning wheels only work if the spinning wheel can cut through the ice to the tarmac below and get a better grip on the road.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

He just needs a good old bang'er

Reply to
ARWadsworth

This is not accurate either. I do not give " half stories" although I do refuse to give some deatails because I do not want to be indentified. That is a safe policy on any newsnet group isnt it? I also very occasionally change an odd detail for the same reason, especially if the thing I am discussing is rather unusual - as in my family matters. You can never tell who is reading these things. Its a public board.

Reply to
sweetheart

Having spent most of my working life driving round the tops of hills on uncleared roads/tracks at all times of year and through many bad winters, I would make several points.

1 4WD is better for traction, it is no better for stopping!! 2 Diff lock is essential for best traction. 3 4WD is next to useless if not accompanied with adequate tyres, but 4WD on identical tyres to a 2WD is better. 4 In deep snow/snowdrifts, ground clearance and suspension rigidity/travel can be important. If (lacking diff lock), one wheel can't get a good grip then you have no traction even with 4WD. depending on the wheel, 2WD may in these circumstances be better. 5 If using 4WD, remember point 1. 6 Always consider how to get back, and what to do if you can't, before proceeding in difficult circumstances.
Reply to
<me9

Holds the engine to a set speed - regulates it, just like any other governer on a vehicle .

Its written in the handbook, so I guess the manufacturer knows what they are talking about. I just follow what they suggest when driving in adverse conditions and how to use gears 1 and 2 on an automatic

Reply to
sweetheart

Not rubbish. Illegal when on clear roads.

Reply to
<me9

"sweetheart" wrote

That's the problem with four wheel drive. It helps to go up hill but adds nothing to coming down.

Reply to
DavidR

Heartily agree..

Yes, a lot of standard tyres on 4WD cars are useless in snow. Winter ones are noisy (in and) out of season. One of the worst I came across were "track grip (more for mud)" ones on a landrover. Noisy, and handling more like sailing a boat, but the boss liked them as a greater mileage was got from them.

We only used chains generally on private roads/tracks, and they were a pain to fit. An option at one time was a hooked device with 4 hooks that went over the tyre and tightened down with a central knob. Somewhat like a wheel clamp without a base. Quite useful in snow, and easier to fit than chains.

Reply to
<me9