[OT] 1950's WITCH computer running again

Now that is a real man's computer :)

Bletchley Park - mostly original parts reassembled and now working.

Beautiful to watch - all clicking relays and dekatron tubes :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Have to take a look at that. Nearer to home for you....

Bob Eager

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

A friend (sadly now deceased) used to tell me about how his removal company transported a computer of some sort from the south up somewhere. As he lived and was based in Wolverhampton, and the dates make sense, I am suspecting it was indeed WITCH. His description, so far as I can remember, also tallies. He claimed that not a single part was damaged in transit. So rather better than HDNL... :-)

Reply to
polygonum

I thought they had an even older "Colossus" up and running? I saw the "Bombe" running at Bletchley that predated even that.

Reply to
harry

They aren't orginals though are they? They are modern reconstructions. The WITCH is mostly orginal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The designs did but both were IIRC rebuilt from scratch.

WITCH is unique in that is was stored as an original kit of modules from the original machine and apparantly most of the dekatrons still worked.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I know...very patchy! THe talk he gave to us was rather like that, but worth it anyway!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I was up close with Colossus a few weeks ago, don't half throw out some heat I can tell you.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So would that be a colossal amount of heat then ....... ok I'll get my hat

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'm off to Bletchly/TNMOC in a couple of weeks time too - looking forward to seeing it!

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Wolves Poly (as was) did indeed have an early machine named "Witch"

is same one.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Yes, that's right (I get their newsletter).

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have heard a story about the WRNS who operated Colossus stripping down to their undies because of the heat. There's a lot to be said against air-conditioning.

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Yes - although the suspended ceiling's gone now, hasn't it, so it's probably quite a bit better than it used to be!

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Colleague was called into a customer in London in the middle of the night and when he got there the lights were out (only illumination was from lights on the tape drives) and all the operators (both sexes) were in their undies and sun-glasses.

Reply to
Bob Martin

You can often speak to people that operated them during the war.

Reply to
harry

Yes, the link in the OPs article told us that.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In article , Tim Watts writes

I've followed all the links and read the articles - very interesting - but want to know whether they have spare Dekatrons, and what they will do when supplies run out. Anyone?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Use Pis to simulate them?

Reply to