Opposite of radiators... and more

Page 2 of 2

in
if
central
freezing
The opposite to a radiator in this form would be a similar device mounted close to the ceiling with something substantially colder pumped through it (say a liquid with a low freezing point kept at -20C). Then convection would do the opposite of what the radiator does in that the cool would "fall" as opposed to the heat "rising". Problem is, the moisture in the air would just ice up the metal and make a mess!! If you had a low (1C for example) water based system, it would just condensate all over the place so that's not a goer either!
Some old "air conditioning" systems do just use cold water pipes and a fan to blow air over them, thus slightly cooling the air which is accelerated around the room by the fan. A bit too subtle for my liking though! The fact is, hot objects near floor level put high energy into the cold air around them and send it with gusto up to the roof - this heats a room very effectively if the volume of air is not too great. A cold system would be too subtle without pumping the hot air past a refrigerant and blowing it out aggressively through the room.
Trust me, the forced convection of an air conditioner will serve you better ;o)

I wonder, if you compress air it can remove the moisture from it substantially - it that were passed to a cooler, then it might clean up the act quite a bit - running low diameter (even braided) air hose around the house is not such a nightmare as other utilities ducts, tubes or cables can be. You could then site a cooler locally in any room you felt you wanted one, like with a fan heater for example. Only one compressor and a tank to deal with on a "sound issue" basis too. Given it's under pressure then the need for a fan is somewhat reduced too. The requirement for an "efficient" compressor would be prime though. Maybe you could cool the air before distributing it round the house, but this would make the pipe requirement a good bit dearer I'd guess.
Take Care, Gnube I don't want to win the lottery I just want to win a barn full of seasoned timber! ;O)