OK to run lighting wiring behind coving?

I am installing 4 wall lights on 3 walls of my lounge. I know how to do the wiring itself, but the routing of the wiring is going to be a big hassle, unless I run the cables behind the coving (this is plaster coving at ceiling level). I *think* this is acceptable with respect to the wiring regulations, but I'm not sure. I intend to run the cable in plastic channel (screwed to the joists or wall) to keep it neat and make it easier to put the coving up.

Does this sound OK? If not, have you any tips to avoid/minimise ripping up floorboards, carpet and moving furniture in the bedroom above?

Thanks Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

I did the kitchen ring main in my old house exactly like that and it worked a treat. As for the compliance with the standards, I defer to those more qualified than me. Cannot see why it should be a problem. Steve

Reply to
Kaiser Sose

I don't see any problem with the regs. I've done this a lot with ethernet and other low voltage cable. A room with coving all the way round effectively has tunking all the way around. You can easily drill through it for access and then polyfilla the hole when you're done. An expanding tape measure or springy drain cleaner make an excellent draw wire.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Coving falls within the permitted 150mm area from the top of the ceiling - the NICEIC website has a pictoral PDF illustration.

MK do a range of coving specifically to aid cable routing, in both 44mm & 90mm (IIRC). Internal/External, adapters, drops. So as a point of reference it is a well supported approach.

Only note re routing is keep cables 25mm from gas pipes, keep sockets/switches 150mm from gas pipes - if you go digging.

Conventional channel/trunking (plastic or it would need to be earthed) & coving would probably be cheaper than MK. It lacks a truly seemless design - EGA Cornice, p332 MK catalog #46.

I doubt cable grouping or temperature are an issue re lights.

Watch light position for when you are seated in the lounge, eg use of widescreen laptops re angled reflective displays. (Like people fitting 50W halogen in bedrooms over a bed only to realise the problem when they then lay in the bed :-)

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

Thanks for this and other replies - extremely helpful!

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles