Moving Vista license from one machine to another ????

Guys, Got the Visa Ultimate retail and gonna install it on my existing (aging) P4 system with 1 gig RAM. However, in a few months I will want to move the Vista license onto my new build PC - a Intel Quad core. How do I move the software license from the old to the new machine ? If I activate whilst its still on my old machine then the activation server will not allow the activation on the new machine .... ????? If I uninstall from the old machine, does some tool go to the activation server and say that the software has been removed and is avilable to be legally installed elsewhere?

How does this work please?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Kaiser Sose

The ideal thing to do is to throw the whole thing away and to buy a Mac.

The next best thing, if you want to keep the hardware is to install Linux on the hardware.

Anything involving Microsoft is a waste of time and a money sink.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You'll have to activate by phone within 30 days of installing. Just tell the call-centre person what you've done and that Vista has been uninstalled from the old system. They will generate a new activation code for you. It's the same if you upgrade a PC enough to trigger the activation process; I did this lots of times in a previous job and it's very straightforward.

-- LSR

Reply to
LSR

When you try to activate the second machine you will be told that the key is already in use. There will be a phone number you have to ring to talk to a call center in India Explain that you have transfered the software to another machine. They should accept this and give you another key. .

Reply to
bomb#20

Thanks for your time in answering. Regards, Steve

Reply to
Kaiser Sose

Reply to
Kaiser Sose

In message , Kaiser Sose writes

You can get Linux DVR software that supports lots of cards. Zoneminder is one...

Reply to
Clint Sharp