Oil, Wax or Varnish for Beeck Block Desktop?

I've made mayself a rather large & splendid computer desk out of a couple of pieces of Ikea beech block kitchen worktop (its the "Pronomen" type, 27mm thick).

Although it looks rather nice unfinished, I'm sure that over time it will get some abuse. Therefore I'm thinking about some sort of Oil, Wax or Varnish finish to give it some protection from the kids etc.

Anyone got any advice to offer?

I'm concerned that Oil will be unsuited to a glorified computer-desk, but am similarly concerned that a varnish finish will look shiny and naff.

TIA

Andy

Reply to
Acedrew

Forgot to mention, its apparently got some sort of Oil finish already.

Reply to
Acedrew

We used the same worktop for our bathroom washbasin to be set into, and because of the likelihood of water being splashed, we used a good oil-based satin varnish (I don't like shiny either). I have to say it looks very nice with the satin finish.

Jayne

Reply to
Jayne

It seems that you have answered your own question then !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It would get mucky at least and anything spilled or dropped would mark it.

I built something similar myself as a desk.

I also don't like shiny and naff looking gloss varnish so avoided that.

I've used a good quality Danish Oil (Rustins) and the results are excellent. This does have a varnish content, and means that the desk can be wiped easily as required if it gets dirty. However, it doesn't alter the colour substantially and does not raise the lustre much above matt.

Also, it is very easy to apply. Sand thoroughly first - I went to

240 grit paper - and then use a tack cloth to remove any dust after you have first vacuumed it. Apply the first coat of Danish Oil reasonably liberally doing both sides of the wood. After about 15 minutes wipe off excess with a soft cloth. Allow to dry, preferably overnight. Give it a very light sanding, tack off and repeat with the oil. It will absorb less this time. Repeat until there are 5 or 6 coats - I didn't go beyond 2 on the underside.

I'm pretty pleased with the results. This isn;t a finish that is quite as hard as a polyurethane floor varnish, but it is certainly fine for a desk and then I don't normally walk on the desk.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks to oil (!) who replied.

Andy

Reply to
Acedrew

Screwfix's "Patina" is pretty good for this. It's a gel polyurethane, so you can wipe it on _really_ thinly. With a single coat you get reasonable protection, but it doesn't start to look too glossy.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

OK, all finished. 6 coats of Danish Oil later and its lookking good - cheers.

Reply to
Acedrew